Need help deciding between HP and Gateway

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a desktop PC and I can't decide between these two.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9180584&type=product&id=1218046802235

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=4400141&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

I'm going to be using it as a studio computer (Cubase, Protools, etc.) so the graphics card is not that important, I'm mostly concerned with the reputation of either brand (Gateway vs. HP); of how well they build their computers and which computer has better parts. I currently have a HP laptop and it's been working fine but I've had it less than a year.

All opinions and advice is much appreciated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Gateway, as the Intel processor is better suited for your intended use.

The only thing that bothers me about the Gateway is the 300 watt power supply, in my opinion that makes it underpowered.

See if Tiger Direct will supply it with a least a 400W PSU or 500W ideally.

If not, I'd look elsewhere.

As for the reliability and support factors between Gateway and Dell, I have not a clue, I always build my own but I do understand that most of those 'name' suppliers, Dell included, usually supply quite good backup.

Another thing I'm not fond of is only having a recovery disk for the Operating System, I'd insist on having a full version of Win Vista 64 Bit, that recovery section method would irritate the hell outta me.

If you're not gaming, the onboard graphics is quite acceptable for the work you have in mind.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The Gateway, as the Intel processor is better suited for your intended use.

The only thing that bothers me about the Gateway is the 300 watt power supply, in my opinion that makes it underpowered.

See if Tiger Direct will supply it with a least a 400W PSU or 500W ideally.

If not, I'd look elsewhere.

As for the reliability and support factors between Gateway and Dell, I have not a clue, I always build my own but I do understand that most of those 'name' suppliers, Dell included, usually supply quite good backup.

Another thing I'm not fond of is only having a recovery disk for the Operating System, I'd insist on having a full version of Win Vista 64 Bit, that recovery section method would irritate the hell outta me.

If you're not gaming, the onboard graphics is quite acceptable for the work you have in mind.

First of all thank you for your advice.

Since the power supply seems like the only problem, would you recomment maybe just purchasing a better power supply once I receive the PC and installing it myself (this is of course if they don't want to do it for me) and if so do you have one that you would prefer that would work with this model.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know if Gateway PSU's are peculiar to their PC's or if they use a standard PSU, so sorry, I don't know of a substitute.

Can't go wrong with Corsair PSU's but I've a feeling that if you changed the PSU you'd likely void the warranty.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That phenom in the HP pc looks like the old style Phenom and not a Phenom 2.

Rather than buy either of the two mentioned why not build your own. You would get a better pc for your money.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
That phenom in the HP pc looks like the old style Phenom and not a Phenom 2.

Rather than buy either of the two mentioned why not build your own. You would get a better pc for your money.

I'm afraid you've opened up a whole new can of worms. :) I'm going to have to look into this a lot more thoroughly now, so thank you. There is a problem though, I've never built a computer before, but I'm sure I'll find the necessary information on the interwebs.

I might still buy a pieced together machine, so I'm still looking for opinions and advice on these two PCs.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nowt wrong with the Gateway PSU, in a Gateway PC, it'll do the job ... problem may arise when you find out that the graphics card needs replacing, you can't actually do that, you have to add a new one, then you will need to look at a PSU with a bit more oomph.

Gateway do use std psu.

oh, I wouldn't trust the reviewer as far as I can throw him. ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nowt wrong with the Gateway PSU, in a Gateway PC, it'll do the job ... problem may arise when you find out that the graphics card needs replacing, you can't actually do that, you have to add a new one, then you will need to look at a PSU with a bit more oomph.

Gateway do use std psu.

Ah, ok, standard psu.

You really think 300W will be ok with a system using a 4 core CPU & 4Gb memory?

Ok, guess you may be right, but imo it's right on the limit.

There again, my media PC (AMD dual core) is happily running on a 350W Jeantech PSU.

So, assuming no upgrades planned in the near future, the Gateway gets my vote - as it is.

Still niggled over no full Vista Disk though ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, I do ... I go on the principle that these 'modern' day Intel CPU's and stuff, use the newer, lower, wattage. :nod:

... and anyway, I used this to get a rough idea, don't he get 12 months guarantee? :D

The only people who really "stress" their PCs are gamers, innit?

I covered my arse ... ;)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you are not a gamer and have a specific set of tasks in mind for your pc. It would be time well spent reading up on the latest cpu's from Intel and AMD as they both offer powersavings and extra speed for certain applications. You may find that some of the cheaper cpu's offer all that you need for your applications.

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi there,

About 7 weeks ago i bought a HP laptop and at ithe time i thought it was the dogs.....7 weeks out and already i feel its slowing down and doesn't shut downn as fast as it used to.Also the new Hp's dont come with install discs anymore.They have this new recovery manager system whereby the HD is split into two and therefore your HD space is reduced by approx 20Gb. I tried to do a backup recovery disc 5 times on saturday and i got nowhere. I rang HP and they told me to mail them all my info,so i did. They will get back to me. Then i went to pcworld where i bought it in the first place. They were much better and gave me a hotline number for tech services. As soon as i'm free i will call them....pcworld quickly told me if there were any major issues i would be given my money back. Since when do shops tell you they'll give your money back. I'd say be careful with a HP even though i really do like mine.
Good day
Zzzzz

Ask a Question