Windows XP need FULL downloads of SP1a, 2, 3

Reaction score
Just reformatted my dinosaur of a computer with XP. Microsoft and CNET offer downloader utilities (1.9mb), but once it's started, the wizard needs to contact some server at Microsoft to download the actual files, which should be 100mb+. I continually get the message that the server isn't responding. Has Microsoft simply pulled the plug on support for these updates, or is this a problem from my end? Is there any place to download the *entire* service pack and install it without needing to connect to some dead server at Microsoft? I can't find it anywhere and all forums I've checked just point you to the downloader utilities. Thanks...

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Support for XP doesn't run out till 2014
I would say there is probably a fault at their end.
As for any other place to download the service packs. I wouldn't download from anywhere but Microsoft.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wassup? :)

Edit: Scrub that, it just took me on a wild goose chase that eventually ended up with Microsoft advising to 'Update via Windows update within XP'. As I'm running Win 7 here, couldn't try that.

Incidentally, all you need is SP3, it contains all the stuff in SP's 1 & 2.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well done ME_2001, I don't know what it is about Microsoft's site but I can never seem to find anything there, just seem to go from one link to another until I'm completely lost :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Don't worry flopps, you aren't the only one that finds it hard work using their website. I avoid it as much as i can, however the download centre is very useful if you want to do updates on machines that are not connected to the net

Ask a Question