Need advice: Install RAID drivers or not

N

NBouc

I'll be receiving my new computer soon, equipped with 2 x 160GB SATA2 drives and I want to install Windows XP Pro myself instead of letting the store do it (retail version with SP2). I don't want to use RAID.

New Computer's basic details:
Mobo: Intel D955XBKLKR (Intel 955X chipset)
- 4 SATA connectors for ICH7-R controller
- 4 SATA connectors for Silicon Image controller
CPU: Intel P4 660 3.6GHz
RAM: 2 x 512M Kingston DDR2-667 Dual Channel
Video: GF 7800GTX 256M PCI-E

I never used SATA drives before and I would like to know what the best "install" option would be, considering I'll connect the 2 drives on the ICH7-R connectors in native mode, not the Silicon Image connectors:
A) Do I need to install the RAID drivers (F6 disk + Intel Matrix Storage drivers) even though I won't setup any RAID option ?
B) If I install no RAID drivers at all, will XP setup detect the SATA drives correctly ?

I am not sure what it is I need to install (and in what order) for a successfull install of XP using SATA drive with no RAID. I read in the mobo documentation that the SATA support is included in the mobo INF, which I have to install after the OS. It makes me wonder how Windows will recognize the drives during installation of the OS.

Thank's in advance for your advice,

NBouc

R

Rich Barry

Take a look here
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

If the ICH7-R connectors are the Raid Connectors then I would imagine that you would have to install the drivers for them.
I'll be receiving my new computer soon, equipped with 2 x 160GB SATA2 drives and I want to install Windows XP Pro myself instead of letting the store do it (retail version with SP2). I don't want to use RAID.

I never used SATA drives before and I would like to know what the best "install" option would be, considering I'll connect the 2 drives on the ICH7-R connectors in native mode, not the Silicon Image connectors:
A) Do I need to install the RAID drivers (F6 disk + Intel Matrix Storage drivers) even though I won't setup any RAID option ?
B) If I install no RAID drivers at all, will XP setup detect the SATA drives correctly ?

I am not sure what it is I need to install (and in what order) for a successfull install of XP using SATA drive with no RAID. I read in the mobo documentation that the SATA support is included in the mobo INF, which I have to install after the OS. It makes me wonder how Windows will recognize the drives during installation of the OS.

NBouc

J

Jerry

You do not 'need' RAID - that's a decision you make for yourself and there are probably many for or against doing that.

If SATA drivers are needed during the install you will have to install them using the floppy provided by the motherboard manufacturer (the F6 option). Windows only gives an option to install from a floppy so I hope you have a floppy drive included in your system.

Windows will correctly detect the SATA drives with no problem if they are identified in the BIOS. Read the manual closely and make sure you understand all the instructions about setting things up and that you can see all drives on the BIOS screens during the boot process. (Are you also using SATA CD/DVD drives or IDE?)

You must boot from the XP CD to have it install Windows correctly. You can format the drives during the setup process. Do not be online or have any peripherals connected. (Only have monitor, mouse , and keyboard hooked up - everyhting else can wait till ater XP's installed.)

NBouc

N

NBouc

Thank you Jerry,

The DVD Burner is IDE and bootable. I'll prepare a floppy with the appropriate latest SATA drivers downloaded from the Intel website. I guess I'll have the option of repartitioning the SATA drives before formatting them during setup.

The link Rich provided (see reply above) is full of very good info regarding XP. Combined with your explanations, I think I'll be ready to proceed with a succefull instal of XP on SATAdrives.

Best regards,

NBouc

You do not 'need' RAID - that's a decision you make for yourself and there are probably many for or against doing that.

If SATA drivers are needed during the install you will have to install them using the floppy provided by the motherboard manufacturer (the F6 option). Windows only gives an option to install from a floppy so I hope you have a floppy drive included in your system.

Windows will correctly detect the SATA drives with no problem if they are identified in the BIOS. Read the manual closely and make sure you understand all the instructions about setting things up and that you can see all drives on the BIOS screens during the boot process. (Are you also using SATA CD/DVD drives or IDE?)

You must boot from the XP CD to have it install Windows correctly. You can format the drives during the setup process. Do not be online or have any peripherals connected. (Only have monitor, mouse , and keyboard hooked up - everyhting else can wait till ater XP's installed.)

NBouc

N

NBouc

Thank you very much Rich, I added the link to ma favorites for future reference. It is full of very good information.

Both the ICHR-7 and Silicon Image controllers support RAID on their respective connectors, but the Silicon Image only provides 1.5GBits/sec data transfer rate (while the ICHR-7 provides 3.0 GBits/sec).

I thought that the F6 disk only contained the RAID drivers, I now know better ;-)

Best regards,

NBouc

Take a look here
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

If the ICH7-R connectors are the Raid Connectors then I would imagine that you would have to install the drivers for them.

NBouc

R

RonK

Make sure the Sata 2 drives are 300MB/s and not just 150 MB/s . They come in both flavors.

NBouc

N

NBouc

Thank's for the advice RonK, I already made sure of that :)
They both are Western Digital WD1600JS SATA2 (300 Mb/sec).

NBouc

Make sure the Sata 2 drives are 300MB/s and not just 150 MB/s . They come in both flavors.

NBouc

R

Rich Barry

Take a look here also
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

NBouc

N

NBouc

Another good reference URL, thank you very much !!

NBouc

Take a look here also
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

NBouc

R

RonK

Good Choice !

Thank's for the advice RonK, I already made sure of that :)
They both are Western Digital WD1600JS SATA2 (300 Mb/sec).

NBouc

Ask a Question