Need accent marks on vowels, for French-English doc. Help?

Hi & thanks in advance....
I'm trying to create a French 101 vocabulary-list generator, for my college
course, but can't figure out how to input the "special characters". For the
letter E, for instance, I need to apply at least 4 different accent marks to
the vowel. I can do this easily enough in Word 2000, but with Excel 2000,
have searched to no avail! I've tried various different hot-key options, no
go. RATS!

Nevermoore

macropod

Hi Nevermoore,

The simple one-off way is via Insert|Symbol.

If you're doing a lot of this, you might do well to learn the keyboard codes. Here's a way to find them:
Put = ROW() in A1 and =CHAR(A1) in A2 & copy both cells down to row 255, you'll get a list of all the characters for whatever font
you're using. The accented characters you're after will start around row 192. To insert such a character from the keyboard hold down
the Alt key and type '0' followed by the number in column A. For example, Alt-0224 gives à.

Cheers

MyVeryOwnSelf

I'm trying to create a French 101 vocabulary-list generator, for my
college course, but can't figure out how to input the "special
characters". For the letter E, for instance, I need to apply at least
4 different accent marks to the vowel. I can do this easily enough in
Word 2000, but with Excel 2000, have searched to no avail!

I don’t know a built-in way as easy as Word's.

Since you type French a lot, you might consider setting up an auto-correct
item for each special character.

For example, I just tried
Tools > AutoCorrect Options
and added
Replace ,e,
With <Alt>0233
using the numeric keypad for the four digits

Now, when I type
,e,
even in the middle of a word I get an accented "e".

(I have Excel 2003.)

James Silverton

MyVeryOwnSelf wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:36:50 -0500:

??>> I'm trying to create a French 101 vocabulary-list
??>> generator, for my college course, but can't figure out how
??>> to input the "special characters". For the letter E, for
??>> instance, I need to apply at least 4 different accent
??>> marks to the vowel. I can do this easily enough in Word
??>> 2000, but with Excel 2000, have searched to no avail!

M> I don’t know a built-in way as easy as Word's.

M> Since you type French a lot, you might consider setting up
M> an auto-correct item for each special character.

That's not a bad way to go since Excel does not have the control
method of Word (ê is CTRL+Shift-6+ e). I wonder why Microsoft
has never provided that in Excel since it and Word have been
supposed to be parts of an Office suite for a very long time?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not