NAS Replicaiton

just bob

I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy a
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between each
other for two offices.

Can you suggest a vendor for me?

Thanks,
-Bob

Arno Wagner

Previously just bob said:
I recently started peeking at SAN features including replication but I'm
wondering if a NAS devices can have this feature, too.I would love to buy a
couple inexpensive NAS devices and have them replicate changes between each
other for two offices.
Can you suggest a vendor for me?

This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Arno

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Arno

Careful babblebot, that brainfarct will kill you.

Oh rats. Knock your self out, let it be over with.
I'll write you a nice obituary for Gisin to read at your funeral.

just bob

Arno Wagner said:
This feature will cost you more. While possible to do in
a Linux-based NAS, AFAIK nobody offers this. Undersnatdably,
beacuese it a) mokes the device operation a whole lot
more complicated. After all you would need something like
a distributed RAID or a clutser-filesystem with this feature.
In case of promlems, manuab intervenmtion may be needed,
hence it would create support cossts. And b) it is a feature
that can be sold as expensive "enterprise" feature.

Thanks,. I'm off to check out Microsoft's DFS and see if it can work OK over
a WAN...

Arno Wagner

Thanks,. I'm off to check out Microsoft's DFS and see if it can work
OK over a WAN...

Well, if you can get the replication host based, that would solve
the issue. Sounds like the right approach to me.

Arno