NAS/Back-up/WebServer?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a decent dual disk (for RAID 1) NAS, running 1gigabit ethernet with full webserver (php?) capabilities...

Currently looking at this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/Thecus/N2100.asp

Although I don't know whether this will run the php webserver - any ideas or recommendations?

I did have a look at the WD My Book World Edition, but it was a single disk version (Wrong labelling - nice one PCWorld!).
It was awfully slow - although I found info on hacking this to install php web services..but didn't want to brick the NAS!

Comments/thoughts/experience etc please?

Thanks in advance!
Kev

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know much about servers, but that looks like it is just a storage device to me? Would probably be easier to build a PC with RAID1 from scratch and then install PHP in Windows/Linux :)

I'm no expert though, so others here with proper hands on experience will be able to suggest something better I'm sure :)

Reaction score
Me__2001 - That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at! Nice one fella! ;)

hmm.... Do I - Don't I?
Lotsa dosh innit!

Reaction score
why do you want something like this?

Is it because you wish to back up your data and access it over the www?

Reaction score
Data backup (with RAID1 resilience).
I like the option of having webservices/FTP etc.
I could host my own sites etc.

Using an isolated unit as opposed to building this from a PC means there's no dependency on a PC being switched on, or interrupted by other activity.

Ask a Question