Nameing a function

L

Leslie Charles

Excel 2010

Suppose I have the formula =Degree(A1) in cell B1.

In cell C1 I write a formula using the formula in B1 as one of the
parameters.

I think I understand how to name the formula in B1. Chooseing Ctrl + F3 seems to do the trick. But when I try to auto-fill my formula in C1 down
the column it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Any help appreciated.

L

Leslie Charles

Excel Named Formulas in Ranges (Excel 2010)

Step 1: In cell A1 enter numbers down a few rows.

Step 2: In cell B1 enter Formula and autofill down column (as many rows asyou will need—this can exceed the number of cells that contain numbers in column A.

Step 3: Select Formulas → Define Name (in dropdown list). Type a name—no spaces and first character must be a letter. Click Collapse Dialog button (it has a small red arrow) and select all the cells you autofilled in Step 2. Click Collapse Dialog button again then “OK.â€

Step 4: In cell C1 enter a formula that uses the named formula defined in Step 3. Example: my formula that converts degree to radian was named “rad.†In cell C1 my formula is =COS(rad). Click Enter button. Now you can autofill Column C, but if you extend past the last row you autofilled in Step 2 you will get a #VALUE! Error—even if you first increase the range of the autofill in Step 2. If you need to extend therange of the Named Formula, choose Name Manager (on Formula Tab) and extend the range in the Refers to: box.

Ask a Question