My newsreader criteria, suggestions please?

Thomas G. Marshall

I am looking for a newsreader with the following criteria, if one exists.

Not in order of importance:

0. WindowsXP
1. Free or very nearly so
2. Can interpret /italics/ and *bold* and emoticons.
3. Can combine groups so that I can easily scan, say, both:
alt.comp.anti-virus
and
alt.comp.virus
in one place. Replies would be to originating ng of course.
4. Can place ng's into groups, and sub-groups. (folder and
sub-folders.
5. Auto-signature---and at least allow me to change the sig
before each run.
6. Colors assigned to respondent text. So I can easily see who
said what.
7. Variable width fonts possible by default, with easy switch to
fixed with.
8. super-gravity strength rules for filtering
9. easy scripting for coloring posts that are mine, and possibly
coloring ng's that contain new unread posts *to* *threads*
*I'm* *part* *of*.
10. can switch to only viewing threads that
11. can sort both by most recent thread, and threads that have
a most recent post (google-sort).
12. would like, but not critical: yEnc, html (for the rare rare case)
13. spell check.
14. can re-format paragraphs of prior respondents so that
line-length munging is kept to a minimum.
15. searching that allows me click on a post in the results
window and hop back into the thread itself in the ng. Like
netscape does and OE does not.

This is a long post, so thank you very much for taking the time to read it!

Elizabeth Hodges

I am looking for a newsreader with the following criteria, if one
exists.

Not in order of importance:

0. WindowsXP
1. Free or very nearly so
2. Can interpret /italics/ and *bold* and emoticons.

<stops reading>

Okaaaay. And I'm looking for a gun with these characteristics:

0. Eats common ammo
1. Cheap
2. Makes "Good, Bad, and Ugly" whistle after every shot

Not in order of importance.

Homer.Simpson

Elizabeth Hodges said

<stops reading>

Okaaaay. And I'm looking for a gun with these characteristics:

0. Eats common ammo
1. Cheap
2. Makes "Good, Bad, and Ugly" whistle after every shot

3. "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do you, punk?

(I know, I jumped movies)

Thomas G. Marshall

Elizabeth Hodges coughed up:
<stops reading>

Okaaaay. And I'm looking for a gun with these characteristics:

0. Eats common ammo
1. Cheap
2. Makes "Good, Bad, and Ugly" whistle after every shot

Not in order of importance.

I guess I don't understand. You do not like #2 specifically?

badgolferman

Thomas said:
I am looking for a newsreader with the following criteria, if one
exists.

Not in order of importance:
[snipped]

This is a long post, so thank you very much for taking the time to
read it!

Most of the requirements you cite are available in Xananews. Check it
out. It also has an active forum where the author discusses future
developments with you.
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Duddits

[...]

40tude Dialog should come the closest.
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

regards

Dud
--

Salmon Day:

A Day in which you spend the entire day swimming upstream
only to get screwed and die in the end.

al jones

My comments interspersed:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:48:23 -0500, Duddits wrote:

I think I agree with Duddits. I do *some* heavy binaries (and when I do, I
tend to use the download functionality of easynews and reget) but find that
40tude handles the other (alt.binaries.fonts / fonts.floods for example)
quite well.
yes, yes, nope No emoticons (that I'm aware of) but they are really low on
my list of wants.After a fashion. You need to look at what 40tude does, I think it'll meet
your needs, it does mine on this point.If you mean that Jane get green and Bill gets blue ... I don't think
anything does. If you mean differents colors for different people in a
quoted message, yes 40tude handles that.There are some heavy-weight filtering people here who have some set up for
40tude, I'll let them answer this one. I'd be inclined to say it does, but
I tend to take the trash and discard it myself.I'm not sure what you mean here. I can set a basic filter for different
things. When I remove the filter I'm still on the same message in the
thread I was on when the filter was set ....????
40tude Dialog should come the closest.
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

regards

Dud

At one point I had something like 15 different newsreaders loaded and was
trying each of them to see if *it* would do what I wanted. Gradually
discarded all of them except 40tude Dialogue. It has some flaws (don't
look into it's home directory, it seems to retain a plethora of unknown
files ... for very indetermate times and reasons) but overall it does what
I want best.

Elizabeth Hodges

Elizabeth Hodges said

3. "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do you, punk?

Ah, the fun we could have with audio-enabled firearms, in a world without
lawyers!
(I know, I jumped movies)

Well, if you just apologize, like I know you're going to...

Elizabeth Hodges

Elizabeth Hodges coughed up:

I guess I don't understand. You do not like #2 specifically?

It's fine. I like reading lists of requirements - it's always interesting
to see how people use their software - but for some reason your #2 tripped
my ability-to-tolerate-complexity circuit-breaker. Glad you got some more
helpful answers.

Peter J Ross

It's fine. I like reading lists of requirements - it's always interesting
to see how people use their software - but for some reason your #2 tripped
my ability-to-tolerate-complexity circuit-breaker. Glad you got some more
helpful answers.

But #2 wasn't complex. Dialog, Gnus and KNode can do it, and probably
others.

PJR :)

Peter J Ross

On Monday 28 March 2005, BilllR wrote in news.software.readers:

<snip>

Sorry, guys. The crêche was full so I had to bring Baby Bill with me.

PJR :)

Thomas =?ISO-8859-15?Q?H=FChn?=

Thomas said:
I am looking for a newsreader with the following criteria, if one exists.

Perhaps you're looking for Gnus.
Not in order of importance:

0. WindowsXP
Yes.

1. Free or very nearly so
Yes.

2. Can interpret /italics/ and *bold* and emoticons.
Yes.

3. Can combine groups so that I can easily scan, say, both:
alt.comp.anti-virus
and
alt.comp.virus
in one place. Replies would be to originating ng of course.

Virtual and "kiboze" groups.
4. Can place ng's into groups, and sub-groups. (folder and
sub-folders.
"Topics".

5. Auto-signature---and at least allow me to change the sig
before each run.
Yes.

6. Colors assigned to respondent text. So I can easily see who
said what.
Yes.

7. Variable width fonts possible by default, with easy switch to
fixed with.

Probably not.
8. super-gravity strength rules for filtering

"Scoring". Also in the flavour "adaptive scoring", which tries to deduce
from your reading behaviour (which postings did he read, which did he kill)
what the scores for certain criteria should be.
9. easy scripting for coloring posts that are mine, and possibly
coloring ng's that contain new unread posts *to* *threads*
*I'm* *part* *of*.

gnus-score-followup-article and gnus-score-followup-thread increases the
score for such postings; coloring them needs some configuration, though.
10. can switch to only viewing threads that
Yes.

11. can sort both by most recent thread, and threads that have
a most recent post (google-sort).
Yes.

12. would like, but not critical: yEnc, html (for the rare rare case)
Yes.

13. spell check.

Via ispell.
14. can re-format paragraphs of prior respondents so that
line-length munging is kept to a minimum.
Yes.

15. searching that allows me click on a post in the results
window and hop back into the thread itself in the ng. Like
netscape does and OE does not.

Hm, searching through several groups is nothing that can be done without
external help (indexing and then nnir.el) or so.

One more advantage:

Gnus can do much more.

One disadvantage:

You have to do much more in terms of configuration than with other
newsreaders.

One advantage/disadvantage (depending on point of view):

Emacs. ;-)

Thomas

Neil Woods

Thomas Hühn said:
Thomas said:
I am looking for a newsreader with the following criteria, if one exists.

Perhaps you're looking for Gnus. [...]
7. Variable width fonts possible by default, with easy switch to
fixed with.

Probably not.

I believe CVS Emacs+Gnus has this capability, though it's not the
default (quite rightly so, IMO).
Via ispell.

And flyspell (checks as you type), which uses ispell.

Indeed so. It can also reformat badly munged and /top-posted/ OE articles
(gnus-article-outlook-deuglify-article).
One more advantage:

Gnus can do much more.
Agreed.

One disadvantage:

You have to do much more in terms of configuration than with other
newsreaders.

Possibly less of an issue than it used to be. There are several good
articles on my.gnus.org which explain how to set up a fairly basic
configuration. Besides, configuring Gnus is fun!

Whenever I (very briefly) go back to using the newsreaders I used to use
(slrn and tin, etc), it always feels rather restricted, now I've got
used to the power of Gnus.
One advantage/disadvantage (depending on point of view):

Emacs. ;-)

Advantage, obviously!