My IE has been HiJacked!

Bronsonator

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me cure what ails my
browser.

I like to use some shortcut keys. My favorite is the
Control - Enter in the address field. If I want to go to
beer.com, I just have to type BEER and press control enter
and IE automagically adds the www. and the .com and then
hits the GO button to go to the page.

Lately, I've been hijacked by MSN (I later added some
google software to make that my default search and now
google does this). When I type BEER and hit control
enter, it sends me to an MSN search engine results page
where the hits for BEER were already listed.

One, it means I go through two sites to get to the one I
wanted.

Two, MSN is getting credited with sending me to that site
as a referral when in fact I was going there WITHOUT MSN's
help. They get a fake stat to bolster their
Conversion/Referral hits to Beer.com

Three, I've lost my convenient shortcut :(

Can anyone tell me how to restore this? I run WinXP on a
Dell. I know I can reset the XP system restore to a few
weeks ago, but then I'd lose other changes I've made
recently that I like to my system.

Thanks!!

(e-mail address removed)

Don Varnau

Hi,
Run Regedit. Check this registry key and make sure the values in the right
pane are correct.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\
AutoComplete]

"Append Completion"="yes"

Also check these values

"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

And... from Internet Options> Advanced, enable "Use inline AutoComplete."

Hope this helps,
Don

Thanks Don, that did it. The regedit keys were fine, it
was the "Enable Inline Auto Complete" in the internet
options/advanced tab that did it.

Muchas Gracias!

Joe

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Bronsonator" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

eldiablojoe[at]hotmail.com

.

Don Varnau

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.