mx records, the ongoing saga.

Chris Johnsen

if i configure my w2k server box to use the router as primary dns, i can
look up mx records just fine. of course in this configuration, all of the
auto-dns-registration services puke. this is the only configuration that i
can seem to make work properly and it took me a while to find it (doesn't
work if i use the isp's dns servers directly).

if i configure my w2k server box to use itself as primary dns, and set the
router as a dns forwarder, i can't look up mx records. i get 5504 errors.

is there some sort of problem with dns forwarders in w2k dns? i'm running
SP4, by the way.

thanks.

-Chris

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Chris Johnsen said:
if i configure my w2k server box to use the router as primary dns, i
can look up mx records just fine. of course in this configuration,
all of the auto-dns-registration services puke. this is the only
configuration that i can seem to make work properly and it took me a
while to find it (doesn't work if i use the isp's dns servers
directly).

if i configure my w2k server box to use itself as primary dns, and
set the router as a dns forwarder, i can't look up mx records. i get
5504 errors.

is there some sort of problem with dns forwarders in w2k dns? i'm
running SP4, by the way.

thanks.

-Chris

Don't forward to the router since the router is NOT a DNS server, and is
just proxying the query. Forward directly to the ISP's, as long as the ISP's
accepts forwarding (indicated by the RA bit being "on"). If not sure, try
this one: 4.2.2.2. Continue to point to yourself for DNS only. The errors
should then disappear.

Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

Chris Johnsen

Tried 4.2.2.2. No go. Timeout trying to resolve the query.

Thanks anyway,

-Chris

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Chris Johnsen said:
Tried 4.2.2.2. No go. Timeout trying to resolve the query.

Thanks anyway,

-Chris

4.2.2.2 doesn't work????
That's a first after 2 years of using that server.

It won't resolve a query? How are you doing the query? What are the exact
steps? What are your exact errors? Can you post an example?

Also, keep in mind, a 5504 error is stating that an invalid character is in
a name. That will cause a lookup error on a machine with an invalid
character in the name. MS DNS only supports 0-9, a-z, A-Z, . (dot), and -
(hyphen) as part of a domain name. So if you have any names with spaces or
underscores, that will cause that error.

My concern is on your resolution issues, not the 5504 errors, because you
easily discover what machines they are and easily change those machine names
to remove that error.

Try these steps (using 4.2.2.2 as the forwarder):

nslookup
(your server IP and name pops up here)
(if you don't have a reverse zone, then you'll
(get a msg saying your server IP can't be
(found in the reverse zone. Just have to make
(one if that's the case- otherwise just ignore it
(because nslookup will continute to work)

set type=mx
(you're setting the lookup type to MX records)

microsoft.com
(you'll get an answer here)

yourdomain.com
(you'll get an answer here)

exit

Let me see the answers please.

Then I would like you to try it with an extra added step to change focus on
what DNS server you're using for nslookup:

nslookup
server 4.2.2.2
(this will make nslookup use 4.2.2.2
(instead of your internal server)

set type=mx

microsoft.com
(you'll get an answer here)

yourdomain.com
(you'll get an answer here)

exit
Let me see those answers too. This will help in understanding what errors
you're talking about and if 4.2.2.2 or any other DNS server is not working
for you.

Chris Johnsen said:
Tried 4.2.2.2. No go. Timeout trying to resolve the query.

Thanks anyway,

-Chris
Forgot to ask, do you have a firewall?

Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Chris Johnsen said:
Tried 4.2.2.2. No go. Timeout trying to resolve the query.

Thanks anyway,

-Chris
I also looked back to your original post. You were getting 5504 errors back
then? The reason I ask is because you got this error in the dns log:

The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from
192.168.2.1. The packet is
rejected.

Did you ever resolve that?

Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

Chris Johnsen

It won't resolve a query? How are you doing the query? What are the exact
steps? What are your exact errors? Can you post an example?

Sure. This is using 4.2.2.2 as the forwarder.

: nslookup
: set type=mx
: gmic.com

*** spock.my-domain.com can't find gmic.com: Server failed.
Try these steps (using 4.2.2.2 as the forwarder):

nslookup
(your server IP and name pops up here)
(if you don't have a reverse zone, then you'll
(get a msg saying your server IP can't be
(found in the reverse zone. Just have to make
(one if that's the case- otherwise just ignore it
(because nslookup will continute to work)

set type=mx
(you're setting the lookup type to MX records)

microsoft.com
(you'll get an answer here)

yourdomain.com
(you'll get an answer here)

exit

microsoft.com gave me the same result as above. here are the results for my
domain:

primary name server = spock.my-domain.com
responsible mail addr = admin
serial = 24
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default ttl = 3600 (1 hour)

nslookup
server 4.2.2.2
(this will make nslookup use 4.2.2.2
(instead of your internal server)

set type=mx

microsoft.com
dns request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
yourdomain.com
dns request timed out
timeout was 2 seconds.
exit

Thanks

Chris Johnsen

No. I'm behind a router, forwarding the HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP3 & FTP ports
to my server.