Acruncher
Reaction score
picture-30-1448901869.png

Submitted by dolphin_oracle on Thu, 12/20/2018 - 05:20

MX-18 Continuum Official Release

December 20, 2018

--direct download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-lin ... inal/MX18/

mirror sites (these may take some time to populate)

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/iso-download-mirrors

torrents:

32 bit Linuxtracker

64 bit Linuxtracker

We are pleased to offer MX-18 Continuum.

Whoopeee a new version to play with.
breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A nice comparison between MX-18 and Mint.

https://www.datamation.com/open-source/linux-mint-vs.-mx-linux-whats-best-for-you.html

In this article, we're going to compare both Linux Mint and MX Linux. This is less about seeing which one is “better,” as that would be a matter of personal preference. Rather, I wanted to share the differences in features, distro base and other important elements that make these distros worth considering.

If you are thonking of trying out a linux distro you would have a decent time with either of these two distros.
Which would I choose ? Well I think this snippet from the article may hold a clue,

So which of these two distros is right for you? Let me put it this way. I have my nephew running MX Linux on his older i3 powered Ideabook. It's blazing fast, allowed him to easily install Steam and PlayonLinux without ever opening a browser. He also has Kodi and Plex installed, all without needing to browse the web.

happy-new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to try out MX-18 yet but I have found a decent video showcasing it.

https://fandomfare.com/2019/02/10/mx-linux-18-1-continuum-release/

There are a few changes to the distro that you might like to look into mainly accessed through MX TOOLS.
BOOT OPTIONS has ways to make changes to the way you boot.
SYSTEM LOCALES and SYSTEM KEYBOARD make it easy to customise to suit.

PACKAGE INSTALLER has sections for,
FLATPAKS well worth checking out. Allows you to install/uninstall all sorts with one click with all dependencies needed to run.Like WolfenDoom_Blade_of_Agony. :thumb:
DEBIAN BACKPORTS for older versions of programs.
MX TEST REPOS which has many programs not found in an ordinary Debian set up. Whilst this is a great feature you should take some care with installing from this as they may run really well or they may run with quirks. It is a test repo after all.
POPULAR APPLICATIONS has a section for different kernels which includes the latest kernel and the Liquorix kernel all patched for Meltdown. Only kernel 4.15 and 4.19 are patched for Meltdown and Spectre though.

I am looking forward to trying this out.

Enjoy :user::D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I installed MX-18 a week or so ago to its own drive , had a brief tinker but haven't got round to having a serious play with it yet so all I can really say is - no probs with install and it works.

Useful eh? :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing MX-18 on to a USB 2 stick. I booted it up on my Skylake rig using the toram feature and it runs blisteringly fast. Have not had much time to play with it but it picked up my internet connection with no input from me. This is possibly because I had MX-17 previously on the stick and maybe some of the configuration carried over. Thinking about it thats a bit strange a as I thought if you used "dd" it destroyed the content of a drive then wrote the new stuff, hmmm.
Picture folders with tons of pictures opened almost instantly and the speed when viewing was impressive. I recon they loaded and ran faster than on my Arch set up.
Playing movies was similar in that they opened up very quickly and looked good whilst playing.
That was the extent of my trial and I am pretty impressed with the way it performed. I intend installing fully on my ToughBook where it will be replacing a Vista hdd install. MX-17 ran very well from a usb on this machine so I recon 18 will run sweet with a proper install.

Any one looking to try out some penguin magic would be more than happy with MX-18 I recon.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing MX-18 on my Tough Book which took around twenty minutes.

Had a bit of a poke around to see what's what and made a couple of quick changes.
Swapped out the default conky for one called LSD-conky which is neat looking.
Left the side bar vertical and made it a tad wider which automatically enlarges the icons, much better for my failing eyes. Added a terminal icon to it and will tweak a little more latter on.
Played around with the GRUB customization tools and now have a rather spiffy set of graphics as I boot up and log in.
Changed the windows theme and enlarged the font on the title bars.
Poked around in the software section of the tools and very nearly installed a flatpak of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony
then realised I had to rush of to do some voluntary driving.

Did a quick update of the sysytem which went ok and that was all I had time for.

As I have a few days free and it is raining and blowing a gale here I may just give the flatpak WDBA a run :D In case you are unfamiliar with it here is some info,

Blade of Agony

It's 1942, and the war approaches its peak. The U.S. has joined the Allied forces, and the Soviets are pushing back the front in the east. The tides of war are turning, and Hitler's victory seems more and more beyond his grasp. But the Nazis, refusing to capitulate, have grown obsessed with human experiments and occult artifacts, in which they see a potential escape from their final Doom. The Allied leaders reject this possibility as nonsense; nonetheless, some still fear what the Führer might be up to. The situation is nebulous, however, and little is certain.

You are Cpt. William "B.J." Blazkowicz, an Allied spy, a fearless risk-taker, and the greatest soldier to ever take up arms in World War II. Your role has changed, though; you've retired from active duty, and now you spearhead operations as a systems analyst. You thought it would be the right choice--leading and motivating instead of doing the dirty work--but lately you've grown restless. At least until a few days ago, when you received an encrypted message from your old friend and comrade Cpt. Douglas Blake, calling you back to duty...

:thumb:

Ask a Question