multiple subdatasheets?

G

Hi again

And here's my second question... is it possible to get multiple subdatasheets open at once?

For example, if I have a "People" table, an "Address" table, a "Phone Numbers" table, and an "Email" table, is it possible to get the latter three to all open up under the People table as subdatasheets? I tried to add them all, but they would only let me have one at a time, the way I was trying it

And is that even the best solution? I know that it makes more sense to not enter information from the table view, but while I am redoing the entire old database (which was not built with wizards and is not linked and has no relationships, and is therefore mostly useless), into a new, streamlined database, linked and relationshipped, all, it is often very helpful to have two tables each open in table view, next to each other, so i can see a lot of information at once, and go down the alphabatized list to give each of the new phone numbers the correct ID number or whatever... am I making sense?

Thanks a bunch

D

Duane Hookom

I would give up on this. One of the first things I do when designing a new
table is to set the subdatasheet property to "None". I have heard that this
increases performance.

Consider creating forms with subforms and tab controls. You will need these
for later user access anyway. Your subforms can be datasheet view if you
prefer.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

Susanna said:
Hi again.

And here's my second question... is it possible to get multiple subdatasheets open at once?

For example, if I have a "People" table, an "Address" table, a "Phone
Numbers" table, and an "Email" table, is it possible to get the latter three
to all open up under the People table as subdatasheets? I tried to add them
all, but they would only let me have one at a time, the way I was trying it.
And is that even the best solution? I know that it makes more sense to not
enter information from the table view, but while I am redoing the entire old
database (which was not built with wizards and is not linked and has no
relationships, and is therefore mostly useless), into a new, streamlined
database, linked and relationshipped, all, it is often very helpful to have
two tables each open in table view, next to each other, so i can see a lot
of information at once, and go down the alphabatized list to give each of
the new phone numbers the correct ID number or whatever... am I making
sense?

J

James Beckz \(Singapore\)

Try this method...

1. Create a query with all these tables (you mentioned)
2. Create the form using that query (just created)
3. Put the relevant tables you wanna show by creating the
subforms.

Hope this can help!
Cheers,
James Pang
(Singapore)

J

John Vinson

No.

For example, if I have a "People" table, an "Address" table, a "Phone Numbers" table, and an "Email" table, is it possible to get the latter three to all open up under the People table as subdatasheets? I tried to add them all, but they would only let me have one at a time, the way I was trying it.

You can use a Form with three subforms.
And is that even the best solution? I know that it makes more sense to not enter information from the table view, but while I am redoing the entire old database (which was not built with wizards and is not linked and has no relationships, and is therefore mostly useless), into a new, streamlined database, linked and relationshipped, all, it is often very helpful to have two tables each open in table view, next to each other, so i can see a lot of information at once, and go down the alphabatized list to give each of the new phone numbers the correct ID number or whatever... am I making sense?

Did you get my message yesterday about append queries? If you're
assuming that the ONLY way to get the ID's into these tables, that
assumption (not the limitations of Access) may be the source of your
difficulty!

Ask a Question