Multi-Forest and OUs, Groups

msnews.microsoft.com

Can someone clarify this for me:

I want to set up an account forest (Contoso.com) whereas user accounts are
contained. I then created a child forest (not domain) Resource.Contoso.com
as a resource forest. Here is the questions:

1. If I create a group which includes users (from Contoso.com forest) and
put in OU=accounting in Resource.Contoso.com , Will a GPO applied to
OU=accounting work? i.e if usersA belong to group accounting and when
he/she login a machine located in Resource.Contoso.com, the GPO will then be
applied to him/her.

2. If one doesn't work, can I create groups in the Contoso.com forest, and
then OU=accounting in resource.Contoso.com contains the groups.

3. Does Windows 2003 solve the problem?

Thanks.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

msnews.microsoft.com said:
Can someone clarify this for me:

I want to set up an account forest (Contoso.com) whereas user accounts are
contained. I then created a child forest (not domain) Resource.Contoso.com
as a resource forest. Here is the questions:

There is no such thing a child Forest. A forest is unique instance of a
Active Directory Schema and configuration and is not related in anyway to
any other forest. The fact that you use a contiguous DNS namespace to
represent you NEW Forest Resource.Contoso.com in no way implies any
connection or ability to interact between these 2 forests.

I will continue to answer your questions in the belief that you did actually
mean a separate forest and not a child domain.

1. If I create a group which includes users (from Contoso.com forest) and
put in OU=accounting in Resource.Contoso.com , Will a GPO applied to
OU=accounting work? i.e if usersA belong to group accounting and when
he/she login a machine located in Resource.Contoso.com, the GPO will then be
applied to him/her.

To do this you would need to first put a trust relationship in place to
allow you to add user accounts to a group in a foreign domain.
The machine the user from Contoso.com will logon to may be under an OU that
is subject to a GPO and this will obviously impact that machine - however
the user will be being authenticated by the Contoso.com and thus will be
subject to GPO's from the OU structure only in that Domain (Contoso.com) as
it is the authenticating system.
There membership of a group in Resource.Contoso.com that may be under an OU
that has a GPO on it is irrelevant since they are being authenticated by the
Contoso.com domain.
2. If one doesn't work, can I create groups in the Contoso.com forest, and
then OU=accounting in resource.Contoso.com contains the groups.

Obviusly you can have a group in your Domain that is in an OU that has a GPO
applied to it. A user account in this group will/may then be subject to
GPOs from that Site Domain and OU structure during logon
3. Does Windows 2003 solve the problem?

No, there is no problem here to solve. GPOs are processed for the machine
from the Site,Domain and OUs that the machine is in. At logon a user
account processes the appropriate Site Domain and OU GPOs that are
applicable to it. From the domain that is authenticating to. Membership of
groups in other OUs particularly in foreign forests in not going to cause
them to have GPOs applied to them since the foreign forest is not where they
are being authenticated.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Ben [MSFT]

Actually, we do not care about group membership at all when applying GPOs.
After applying the GPOs associated with the machine account we then follow
the Local-->Site-->Domain-->OU processing path for the user account.
We do not perform any checks on group membership.

The reason for this can be summed up in the following scenario:
User 1 is part of Group A and Group B.
Group A is in OU=Marketing and Group B is under OU=Accounting which are OUs
at the same level in the AD hierarchy.
The GPO "Test GPO1" is linked to OU=Marketing and "Test GPO2" is linked to
OU=Accounting.

Test GPO1 sets a policy to a value of enabled.
Test GPO2 sets the same policy to a value of disabled.
Who wins? Because they are at the same level we cannot make the
determination.

This is why we do not follow the OU path for a group object. Only the
machine account and then user.

blim [MSFT]

> [...]
| >newsgroups

| >> I want to set up an account forest (Contoso.com) whereas user accounts
are
| >> contained. I then created a child forest (not domain)
| >Resource.Contoso.com
| >> as a resource forest. Here is the questions:
| >>
| >> 1. If I create a group which includes users (from Contoso.com forest)
and
| >> put in OU=accounting in Resource.Contoso.com , Will a GPO applied to
| >> OU=accounting work? i.e if usersA belong to group accounting and when
| >> he/she login a machine located in Resource.Contoso.com, the GPO will
then
| >be
| >> applied to him/her.
| >>
| >> 2. If one doesn't work, can I create groups in the Contoso.com forest,
| >and
| >> then OU=accounting in resource.Contoso.com contains the groups.

David Ha

I appreciate your explainations. I thought a forest is a forest. However
someone has corrected me that there is such a thing as a child forest. I'm
glad that I was right.

Thanks for all your answers.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

David Ha said:
I appreciate your explainations. I thought a forest is a forest. However
someone has corrected me that there is such a thing as a child forest. I'm
glad that I was right.

The person you spoke to is wrong. There is No Such Thing as a Child Forest.

You have a forest which is a group of Active Directory Domains, arranged as
trees.
A forest shares a common Active Directory Schema and Configuration Naming
Context and also a common global catalog.
A tree is a set of Domains forming a parent child relationship ship that
have a contiguous DNS namespace associated with them.
A group of tress is a forest. The forest is known by the DNS name of the
first Domain created in the forest - referred to as the FRD or Forest Root
Domain.

Forests are the absolute boundary of administration and security and have no
interaction with any other forests UNLESS you put an explicit either top
level trust between the forests (if you are using Windows Server 2003) or
explicit trust between the domains in the various forests.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights