Windows XP mucks is to dump Linux ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Surprised?

Well I ain't dumping Linux entirely it will still be on 'the old girl' crunching away ... but the fact is I'm bored. :rolleyes:

Been looking at that Oblivion game, just my cup of tea, but I'm dammed if I can get it to load on Linux. :D

So I bought, yep parted with money I don't have, a copy of XP ... :eek:

I'm trying my dammedest to back-up all my music ... so you have until tomorrow to find somewhere to hide so you wont hear me when I start swearing my head off at XP ... what is the latest number of "protection" needed to keep the little nasties at bay? I've forgotten. :rolleyes:

Nope, this ain't no late April fool joke. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well if you had posted this one yesterday I would have thought it was a joke ;) I don't blame you for switching back - everything seems to run on windows and Linux has its own problems.

Just stick the usual anti-spyware and firewall along with MS patches and you'll be fine :D My system never crashes and I don't have problems with windows :) (I shouldn't have said that, as I'm going to lose all data and my monitor will explode now!)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OMG - can this be true Mucks????? :eek: - have you had your meds today :D

Well, I suppose if you need widows to run that game then you probably have no choice.

... what is the latest number of "protection" needed to keep the little nasties at bay? I've forgotten.
The last time I did an install a couple of months ago, I think after several downloads of the latest 'update software' and 'genuine advantage verifications' it was about 36.....:rolleyes:

:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
... everything seems to run on windows and Linux has its own problems.
Whoa, wrong statement ... I "never" had/have any "problems" with my Linux ... I had a "failing out" occasionally and said a few things. :p

No seriously, I'll be dual-booting anyway, Linux is one hell of an OS and it is not it's fault game writers can't be arsed to write for it ... if they ever did, and in numbers, MS would have some serious competition. ;)

I like my SuSE and I'll be upgrading it when the new version is ready, some neat stuff coming, I won't forget its power over the internet in a hurry. :p

Had a play with Visa today too ... neat, I like it, will be buying a copy also ... that is going to be fun.
laughingsmiley.gif

Yep had all my meds today ... err, I think, yes I'm sure ... :thumb:

Reaction score
Hmm you got me thinking about Linux now. Not got and never used it. I did at one time think about installin it onto my Xbox but never bothered.

Keep hearing good things about it, maybe I should try!

Reaction score
shocking news

I'm shocked by muckshifters statement, going and getting XP, what next?
Oh well sure to be fireworks now he has to suffer MS XP like the rest of us:rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
aaagggghhhhh!!!!!!

Well I have started ... hit one problem, Windows's install program don't see my USB wireless keyboard or mouse.
wallbash.gif

LINUX DID!!!

... now where are my spares. :(

Reaction score
Oh dear, that's a shame thats what happens when you are used to a decent O/S:wave:

Reaction score
Well blow me down with a feather!!!!!:)

Well I don't think anyone will ever catch up with Microsoft. No matter how good the product is or could be.
There just too big. They have got the majority of the market in the palm of there hands.

But Linux is still a great alternative (not that I've made the jump :D) but the fighting a loosing battle if they wanna catch Microsoft :blush:

But fair play too you Mucks for changing direction. The game must be worth it
nod.gif

Cheers,

Rich

muckshifter

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Oh dear, that's a shame thats what happens when you are used to a decent O/S
happywave.gif
I not dumping Linux ... I'm dual-booting so I can still surf the net with impunity. ;)

The game must be worth it ...
It had better be, or I'll quit ... well get annoyed anyway. :D

Reaction score
Easy peasy:user: XP> I thought long and hard Re: Linux but decided against:lol:

Well I never thought I would live to see the day this happens:nod:

Good luck Sir Mucks:wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
Easy peasy
user.gif
XP> I thought long and hard Re: Linux but decided against
laughingsmiley.gif

Well I never thought I would live to see the day this happens
nod.gif

Good luck Sir Mucks
happywave.gif
Well I ain't having much luck ... the bloody fonts are huge, and I thought Linux was bad, something wrong somewhere, need to find drivers for everything ... Linux just installed. :bow:

I have never had Windows on this box before, and I'm wondering why I bothered. :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah ha, cracked it, I think ... screen resolution now set to 1280 X 1024 ... silly if you ask me, but then this is the first time I've used a TFT & XP

My eyes are watering looking at this ... :confused:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah ha, cracked it, I think ... screen resolution now set to 1280 X 1024 ... silly if you ask me, but then this is the first time I've used a TFT & XP

My eyes are watering looking at this ... :confused:

There is a way of setting windows to auto set the screen resolutions but my mind is a blank at the moment:wall:

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
There is a way of setting windows to auto set the screen resolutions but my mind is a blank at the moment:wall:
That's not unusual for you ... is it? :p

No, I'm fine with this ... it was a bit bright so I messed with the control panel on the monitor, could not get it quite right so used the Auto button on it.
laughingsmiley.gif

Quite good if I do say so ... ;)

Reaction score
That's not unusual for you ... is it? :p

Nope!
Now look mucks:wave: I is the only one on this forum thats mad:confused: :p
well most of the time anyways and>> it does help:user: XP>XP>XP
Especially with XP:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Only reason worth using Windows is for Games, so fair play to you Mr Mucks.

Kinda makes gaming expensive though, dunnit? ;)

I'm still loving Suse 10, despite the fact there are some things it can't do that bloody Bill Gates' expensive, overrated, overpriced, manky looking POS OS can do :(

Such is life, I guess :)

Ask a Question