msvcrt.dll - System does not start anymore

M

Michael Maes

Hello,

My wife downloaded an application, saving it to a local folder.
Without installing it, the system asked her to reboot, which she did.

Since then, I can't restart the computer anymore, not even in safe mode or last known working ....

The XP-Pro startup screen appears as normal and right after it ends, there are 2 messageboxes:
a.. Services.exe
b.. Isass.exe
Both with the following prompt:

the procedure entry point _resetstkoflw could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

I tried running the recovery-console, but it won't accept my (admin) password.
I tried using the recovery cd from acer, but it says it doens't find the OS-files.

It's an Acer 630-family with XP-Pro ENU SP1a.

The issue is that all her data-files (since years) are on the c-drive, without having them backed-up. Also the HDD isn't partitioned, so i can't reïnstall windows on another partition, thus saving the data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

M

Michael Maes

Hi,

I've found the answer myself (thanks for the reply MS, ..., I'm MSDN....):

It's a bug (and what a bug): see kb190536
For the solution: see kb324762

HTH someone else in the future,

Michael
Hello,

My wife downloaded an application, saving it to a local folder.
Without installing it, the system asked her to reboot, which she did.

Since then, I can't restart the computer anymore, not even in safe mode or last known working ....

The XP-Pro startup screen appears as normal and right after it ends, there are 2 messageboxes:
a.. Services.exe
b.. Isass.exe
Both with the following prompt:

the procedure entry point _resetstkoflw could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

I tried running the recovery-console, but it won't accept my (admin) password.
I tried using the recovery cd from acer, but it says it doens't find the OS-files.

It's an Acer 630-family with XP-Pro ENU SP1a.

The issue is that all her data-files (since years) are on the c-drive, without having them backed-up. Also the HDD isn't partitioned, so i can't reïnstall windows on another partition, thus saving the data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Ask a Question