MSI install in silent mode

TThai

Hi, I've created an application that uses crystal report in VB dotnet
environment. I've created an MSI package to be installed on the
client pc to make the crystal report to work. However, the MSI
requires User Intervention. Does anyone know how to create MSI in a
silent mode in visual studio. This application will be pushed to the
client from the server and the MSI package needs to be in a silent
mode meaning all the user intervention should be pre-defined or
pre-answered in the package. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa

Phil Wilson

You can do it in command line mode:
msiexec /i <path to msi file> /q
where /q has a choice of flavors of quietness, qn, qb, qb+ etc

Another choice is a vb script (or program equivalent) to this:

set obj = createobject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")
obj.uilevel = 2
obj.InstallProduct("path to your.msi")

The default installation folder depends on ProductName and Manufacturer
properties in the setup project's properties, so that would be automatic. That
leaves mainly "Everyone" or "Just me" choices in the UI to be resolved, and you
can fix that by getting Orca (install from Orca.msi in the Platform SDK, Windows
Installer section) and editing FormFolder_AllUsers in the Property table to be
ALL instead of ME if you want a per-machine installation.

David Guyer [MS]

Or, you can just delete all the dialogs from the User Interface editor. I
think Nick's suggestions are technically better, but this is another
approach.

---
David Guyer - VBQA Deployment Testing
From: "Phil Wilson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: MSI install in silent mode
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:01:46 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general

--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
TThai said:
Hi, I've created an application that uses crystal report in VB dotnet
environment. I've created an MSI package to be installed on the
client pc to make the crystal report to work. However, the MSI
requires User Intervention. Does anyone know how to create MSI in a
silent mode in visual studio. This application will be pushed to the
client from the server and the MSI package needs to be in a silent
mode meaning all the user intervention should be pre-defined or
pre-answered in the package. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa

David Guyer [MS]

Umm.. I mean Phil's suggestions. My apologies!

---
David Guyer - VBQA Deployment Testing
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general