Msconfig error....

Gordon J. Rattray

Hey Ron,

My mistake....it's pchealth folder that we all have in XP....

Gordon
Hey Ron, If you go to the pchelp folder and right click on msconfig and use the run as, administrator, that's what I was talking about. Will try the safe modes out of curiosity, though... Gordon

I don't have a "pchelp" folder, so I cannot comment. But this is NOT the same
as running msconfig in SAFE mode after have logged in as the ADMINISTRATOR.
Note that this is NOT the same as logging in as a USER who has administrator
privileges. You must log in as ADMINISTRATOR to reproduce the situation I ran
into.
--ron

Jose

Hey Jose,

Dave's link leads to just that.... a solution to the HP PML registry key deletion to solve this problem.

So far, this is the only viable solution presented, but this machine doesNOT have an HP printer......

Gordon
  "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:72b6c244-b091-4649-81e8-

Well, I'm not getting questions answered, so I think I will just watch
the flailing for a while.

I am not suggesting you just try things to see if they might work
maybe. I am asking specific questions.

When you encounter the error making the change, does the change work
in spite of the error message?

Do you see the message when you merely try to change the checkbox, or
only when you click OK/Apply?

If it is not an invasion of privacy what item in the Startup tab are
you trying to change?

It is all items in the Startup tab or a particular item?

What is in the Location field of the afflicted Startup item(s).
HKLM..., HKCU..., c:\...

Are you logging into XP as a user with an Administrator account?

Do you have the same error when you login as Administrator?

Do the configurations in the Services tab work okay?

What AV softwares do you think you have running at the time?

Gordon J. Rattray

Hey Jose,

Dave's link leads to just that.... a solution to the HP PML registry key deletion to solve this problem.

So far, this is the only viable solution presented, but this machine does NOT have an HP printer......

Gordon
"Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:72b6c244-b091-4649-81e8-

Well, I'm not getting questions answered, so I think I will just watch
the flailing for a while.

I am not suggesting you just try things to see if they might work
maybe. I am asking specific questions.

When you encounter the error making the change, does the change work
in spite of the error message?

YES

Do you see the message when you merely try to change the checkbox, or
only when you click OK/Apply?

WHEN HIT OK/APPLY

If it is not an invasion of privacy what item in the Startup tab are
you trying to change?

I DISABLED "AIM.EXE" THAT'S WHEN I FOUND THE ERROR MESSAGE FOR THE FIRST TIME, THEN I TRIED OTHERS AND SERVICES AS WELL SO IT'S ANYTHING IN THE MSCONFIG THAT'S CHANGED WILL PROMPT THE ERROR MESSAGE

It is all items in the Startup tab or a particular item?

ANY

What is in the Location field of the afflicted Startup item(s).
HKLM..., HKCU..., c:\...

AS THEY ALL CAUSE THE ERROR MESSAGE, THERE'S NO ONE SPECIFIC ITEM

Are you logging into XP as a user with an Administrator account?

YES

Do you have the same error when you login as Administrator?

YES

Do the configurations in the Services tab work okay?

ANY CHANGES IN THE SERVICES TAB CAUSE THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE....OTHERWISE ALL SERVICES ARE KNOWN TO BE GOOD

What AV softwares do you think you have running at the time?

IT HAS MCAFEE
Thanks,
Gordon

Shenan Stanley

Gordon said:
I go to make some changes in the StartUp tab of the Msconfig. Then when
I exit it comes up with an "Access Denied....." error. And something to
do with local permissions for one or more services.

Shenan said:
Log in with administrative rights.

Barring that - give more information.

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press
the "Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in
Windows XP to having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and
chosen "Properties" from the menu that appears. When the new
window appears - ensure you are under the "General" tab. Is there
*anything* in there to indicate you have a 64-bit version of
Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the
general (Operating System name and edition) while the line starting
with the word "version" will give you the rest of the story. Post
_both_ in response to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing -
instead - ensure character-for-character copying.

Suspecting "Windows XP Home Edition"... But would like
verification.
Logged in with administrative rights.

No indication of 64 bit setup. It's XP Professional with SP3
in a Dell laptop

Winver came up with
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xp.sp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435:Service Pack 3)

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you said you have SP3.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up. No
worries *at this time*.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...6F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Now try MSCONFIG again - report back everything you found during the cleanup
and what happened after. You have updated a few things and ensured the
file/folder/registry permissions have some proper default permissions.

Ron Rosenfeld

Hey Ron,

My mistake....it's pchealth folder that we all have in XP....

Gordon

I don't have a "pchelp" folder, so I cannot comment. But this is NOT the same
as running msconfig in SAFE mode after have logged in as the ADMINISTRATOR.
Note that this is NOT the same as logging in as a USER who has administrator
privileges. You must log in as ADMINISTRATOR to reproduce the situation I ran
into.
--ron

Hey Gordon,

Thanks for clearing that up. When and if you get around to trying the other
suggestions, please post back with the results.
--ron