Word MS Word Expert Required!!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

I stupidly said to some old geezer i know that i would help him edit his book on world war 2. It in word and is 95,000 words, almost 200 pages!!!! I have set all the headings so that i can auto generate a contents page, what im looking for is for the contents page to be dynamic, i.e. when things in the document change (page numbers, removal of things etc) the contents page will change accordingly.

Is this possible? Please say yes!!!! :-/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It most certainly is, although I can't remember how to do it manually - its on one of the drop down menus. :)

Reaction score
Yeah you insert the contents, then when you want to update it because you changed some headings, all you do is right click on it and press the update button.

Chris

Reaction score
You have to use styles and create a style for the headings for each chapter or subsection.

Then go insert>reference>index and tables

And then select the style you used for the headings and hit insert, it looks up which title's are set as headings and auto generates a contents page for you.

When you update something on the document, you just right click the contents field and hit update and everything gets updated.

HTH,

Chris.

Reaction score
Yeah, cheers boys, i worked it out in the end. Just click on the contents and hit F9 and it updates, its all good!! :p

Ask a Question