The properties on the e-mail are as follows:

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:23:52 +0200

looks fishy to me. Can anyone help?

Craig

Nicholas

Some devious person is "spoofing" Microsoft. The email message is
not from Microsoft and should be deleted immediately!

Microsoft never sends a file attachment with email. They will always
provide a link to a Microsoft web site.

Please take a moment to read the following article:

Information on Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin E-mails
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/news/patch_hoax.asp

--
Nicholas

| I received an email which "LOOKS" like it came from MS.
| It has an exe file attached and I'm not sure if this is
| some sort of hoax or virus.
| Th attachment is named Q944694.exe
| The properties on the e-mail are as follows:

| Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:23:52 +0200
|
| looks fishy to me. Can anyone help?
|
| Craig

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

PSS Security Response Team Alert - New E-Mail Worm: W32/Swen@MM

SEVERITY: MODERATE
DATE: September 18, 2003
PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and
Web-based e-mail

WHAT IS IT?
W32/Swen@MM spreads via e-mail and network shares. The Microsoft
Product Support Services Security Team is issuing this alert to advise
customers to be on the alert for this virus as it spreads in the wild.
Customers are advised to review the information and take the appropriate
action for their environments.

IMPACT OF ATTACK: Mass Mailing, disabling processes related to security
software such as antivirus and firewall software

TECHNICAL DETAILS:
For additional details on this worm from anti-virus software vendors
participating in the Microsoft Virus Information Alliance (VIA) please
visit the following links:

Network Associates:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Trend Micro:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SWE
N.A

Symantec

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
ml

Computer Associates:

http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36939

For more information on Microsoft's Virus Information Alliance please
visit this link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/virus/via.asp

Please contact your Antivirus Vendor for additional details on this
virus.

PREVENTION:

1. This worm is exploiting a previously patched vulnerability. The
vulnerability exploited is related to the following Microsoft Security
Bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-020.asp

As always, customers are advised to install the latest security patch
for Internet Explorer. Information on the latest cumulative security
patch for
Internet Explorer can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-032.asp

2. Outlook 2000 post SP2 and Outlook XP SP1 include the most recent
updates to improve the security in Outlook and other Office programs.
This includes the functionality to block potentially harmful attachment
types. If you are running either of these versions, they will (by
default) block the attachment, and you will be unable to open it.

To ensure you are using the latest version of Office click here:
http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

By default, Outlook 2000 pre SR1 and Outlook 98 did not include this
functionality, but it can be obtained by installing the Outlook E-mail
Security Update. More information about the Outlook E-mail Security
Update can be found here:

http://office.microsoft.com/Downloads/2000/Out2ksec.aspx

Outlook Express 6 can be configured to block access to
potentially-damaging attachments. Information about how to configure
this can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q291387

Outlook Express all other versions: Previous versions of Outlook Express
do not contain attachment-blocking functionality. Please exercise
extreme caution when opening unsolicited e-mail messages with
attachments.

Web-based e-mail programs: Use of a program-level firewall can protect
you from being infected with this virus through Web-based e-mail
programs.

RECOVERY:
If your computer has been infected with this virus, please contact your
preferred antivirus vendor or Microsoft Product Support Services for
assistance with removing it.

TECHNET SECURITY LINK:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/virus/alerts/swen.asp

As always please make sure to use the latest Anti-Virus detection from
your Anti-Virus vendor to detect new viruses and their variants.

If you have any questions regarding this alert please contact your
Microsoft representative or 1-866-727-2338 (1-866-PCSafety) within the
US, outside of the US please contact your local Microsoft Subsidiary.
Support for virus related issues can also be obtained from the Microsoft
Virus Support Newsgroup which can be located by clicking on the
following link

PSS Security Response Team

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
Expert Zone -

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:23:52 +0200

looks fishy to me. Can anyone help?

Craig

John

How can this message be forwarded to someone at Microsoft
so they can let people know this shouldn't be installed?
I got an e-mail similar to this but my attachment was
Installation43.exe. Fortunately my Outlook Express
removed the attachment, but if I forward the e-mail it's
still there on the forwarding process.

Ted

Glad to see that I'm not the only one receiving emails
that look to be suspicious. I myself would like to know
how to alert MS if this is a hoax. Mine is a little
different too. It reads, "MS Client

this is the latest version of security update,
the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which
resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS
Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as
well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect
your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most
serious of which could allow an malicious user to run
code on your computer. This update includes the
functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version
4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the
earliest opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on
displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after
installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base
articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support
web site. For security-related information about
Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security
Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

I always thought updates came directly to computer, not
via email.

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:23:52 +0200

looks fishy to me. Can anyone help?

Craig
.
.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

MS knows--there is no need to forward the message.

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:23:52 +0200

looks fishy to me. Can anyone help?

Craig
.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What you received is either a very common malicious hoax or the
output of a computer infected by one of several wide-spread, mass
emailing worms. The two most widely-known are:

W32.Gibe_mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

W32.Dumaru_mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Microsoft never has, does not currently, and never will email
unsolicited security patches. At the most, if, and only if, you
subscribe to their security notification newsletter, they will send
you an email informing you that a new patch is available for
downloading.

Microsoft Policies on Software Distribution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp

Information on Bogus Microsoft Security Bulletin Emails
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/news/patch_hoax.asp

Any and all legitimate patches and updates are readily available
at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. (Notice that this is the true
URL, rather than the bogus one that may have been contained in the
email you received.) Any messages that point to any other source(s) or
claim to have the patch attached are bogus.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

David

How can this message be forwarded to someone at Microsoft
so they can let people know this shouldn't be installed?
I got an e-mail similar to this but my attachment was
Installation43.exe. Fortunately my Outlook Express
removed the attachment, but if I forward the e-mail it's
still there on the forwarding process.
[...] xwgfxpqp@bulletin_ms.net>
[...]

What? You don't think Ms is getting hit by these e-mails also? Or, That
MS employees don't have thier own prvate e-mail addresses that are get
it? No need to flood MS with reports on this.

--

David

"Due to Viewer dicretion...
Graphic violence is advised"