MS Access 2003 w/SP3 should not require Full Control permissions

After Office 2003 SP3 is applied, MS Access 2003 requires Full Control
permissions to properly compact a database. This means changing permissions
all over my network shares from "Modify" to "Full Control". Tech Support
says that this is a "Security Enhancement" in Access 2003 SP3 and the only
work around at present is to ask users to copy DB1.mdb back over the original
mdb, or to set "Full Control" permissions on every share where Access DBs are
stored.. I feel is it a "Security Threat" to have to allow all my users to
be able to change permissions. I would like to see Microsoft fix this
"Security Enhancement" as soon as possible.

Symptoms: Access 2003 "Compact and Repair" fails to overwrite the original
mdb file and leaves a new dbX.mdb file each time it compacts. This caused
our file shares to grow very rapidly, as we have a large number of large DBs
that have "Compact on Close" checked. We found db1 - db14.mdb were created
for many databases.

Any chances of a quick hot fix to remedy this?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...0fb3e351b&dg=microsoft.public.access.security

Pieter Wijnen

I would suggest not to use compact on close, but use JetComp (Scheduled)
instead

Pieter

"Kevin Slovick - Network Engineer" <Kevin Slovick - Network
news:[email protected]...

Kevin,
I've been dealing with the same exact problem that you described. Did you
ever find a solution, other than granting all users "full control"?
Thank you, Diane

We use autocomp in about 1200 Access Databases. Please solve this problem
fast!!!