most popular or "typical" WM5 devices?

schav

Hi,

What are some of the more popular and widely used Windows Mobile 5
Pocket PC devices out there? I'd like to get a device that is pretty
"standard" for WM5 features and use that as a baseline for testing my
app. Of course, that can't guarantee everything, but I'd like to at
least hit most things. I also understand that it really depends on
the target audience, but for now, I'd like to address the "mainstream"
segment that purchases PDAs for business and personal use.

Since I'm asking, if anyone could also tell me what the most popular
WM5 Smartphones are as well, that would be helpful too.

Based on my own experience and searching around on Google, it
currently seems that:

- For WM5 PPC, the Dell Axim x51v and some iPaq (can't figure out
which model) are more popular. Also, I think the Treo 700W might fall
here.

Any suggestions from your own experience? Any insight would be
helpful.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Was that English? "Hasn't Dell stopped making PPC devices?" was what that
was supposed to say...

Paul T.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

I'll be up to my grade level soon, here.

Paul T.

Simon Hart said:
I think it was an attempt at English ;)

--
Simon Hart
http://srhartone.blogspot.com

Paul G. Tobey said:
Was that English? "Hasn't Dell stopped making PPC devices?" was what
that
was supposed to say...

Paul T.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam
DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I'd guess the Sprint PPC-6700. Hasn't Dell has PPC devices?

Paul T.

[...]

Depends on what you're after. Is a phone edition device important to you?

Most telecommunication providers have their own "branded" version of devices
in alot of cases from HTC http://www.htc.com. I myself have a range of
devices; Xda Orbit which is a HTC P3350,
http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_p3350.htm fantastic peice of kit.
Although the O2 version has a built-in GPS receiver SiRF III chipset
http://www.sirf.com/. The device comes pre-installed with the MSFP (push
email, among other things) WM5.0 QVGA, Micro SD card etc - fantastic nice and
light.

I have an Orange M3100 this is great and has a pull-out keyboard - in fact
we have around 1200 of these. The great thing about this device is it
supports UMTS (3G) the P3350 doesn't. Easy access to the Micro SD slot too.
And I have a classic M2000 - very popular device works with a fast CPU we
have around 800 of these.

The Fujitsu Siemens LOOX T series is one to watch:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/handhelds/pocket_loox_t_series.html I would love one of these!
I'd also like a Samsung SGH-i600 - nice and slick.
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=148271

Also have a look at the i-mate range, they always some some cool devices.
Off the top of my head the JAQ3 is one to watch.

schav

Hmmm...thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I definitely am aware of these devices, but I am wondering if they
really are just "cool" devices that only a significant minority (e.g.,
early adopters, mobile geeks) of regular users have...

I noticed that most people posted smart phones and wireless PDAs
offered by operators...I know that smartphones are the growth area
over traditional pure PDAs, but from what I've seen, at least here in
the States, it seems quite a lot of organizations still purchase
regular PDAs, given their mass discounts. Dell has definitely stopped
the Axim, but I hear people are still buying them second hand. iPaqs
still top the top seller lists on Amazon.

Simon,

Assuming you're in the UK when you mentioned O2 and Orange..what did
you mean when you said "we have 800 of these"?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Technology is only ever good if it can add business value. When I say cool I
mean I can see ways of developing a much richer application and as a result
deliver more business benefit.

So these "cool" devices are not just for the geeks among us, we're using
them in enterprise apps today.

Without going into too much detail of our client...

3G enables us to send and receive messages more quickly. As a result we are
able to receive photos (large amonts of data more effieciently). The fact
these devices are smaller and lighter makes them easier for the field
personnel to carry and the built-in keyboard makes it easier for them to
input data.

Built-in GPS enables tracking, so we know where the field personnel is at
any one time which enables business benefit by responding to the business
needs more quickly. It also results in an element of control.

Phone Edition is required because how else do you get the data onto and off
the device without coming back to the office?

To name a few..

To top it off these devices are getting faster which enables us to develop
much better feature rich applications.

"we have 800 of these" means we have 800 M2000's in the field.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

The ones that I mentioned are highly-mentioned items in the ActiveSync
newsgroup, so I'd think that they represent what people in the world have.
Now, whether the target market for WM devices is mostly geeks or not is
another discussion, but...you get the point. Simon's numbers are real
installations that he's directly involved with, so they're pretty real.

Paul T.