More SLI err... woes

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
just yesterday i was using some ini tweaks (guide at www.tweakguides.com) in Oblivion to increase visual quality and increase grass distance. But while browsing through 'render' info i noticed that the SLI option was set to 'no'. Well i changed to to 'yes' and saved but there was no performance difference. then when i checked it again, it reset.

i noticed something similar in Crysis, where it didnt set itself to SLI. Even when i changed it console. Perhaps will set the games to run in AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering) instead of the presets (Single card mode strangely) . Even stranger only older games allow me to use the SLI as the prefered rendering option.

I will test some options out, and see if there are any changes to be seen (or noticed)

PS. the Crysis patch.... doesnt optimize SLI in XP, only Vista from what i have seen and hear round the net

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well aftersome tests, AFR and Single mode gave me similar FPS all around. So no harm done there. Although AFR 2 does do a better job than AFR 1. And any mode does considerably better than SFR (Split Frame rendering) , using the same setting netted me 2-8 fps on SFR. i havent played a game that uses SFR well.

Using the same guide i 'forced' Crysis to run with all settings at VeryHigh, Which is only (supposed) possible by using Vista. :)
while the extra fancyness is nice, the performance isnt. Ususally 8-20 fps. Im going to change everything back- except for physics... cause i like blowing things up :D The veryhigh motion blur is WAY too much, it made me a little dizzy and for the most part - i could tell what was going on because, well, everything was constantly blurry. :(

I plan on comparing the game to my friends (he has Vista and Crysis) to see if it really is using very high settings.

Also, using the [sys_enable_budgetmonitoring 1] command, which as you guess brings up a graph system that shows you how much resources are being used and how close the game comes to overflowing the available resources. Which is very entertaining as well as informetive. Ahh... where was i, ah yes, apperently Crysis sees my video memory as being limited to 256mb instead of 512mb. But then again this may be refering to the aperture size. and I belive that that game being 'limited' to just 740MB of RAM sounds like rubbish.

there are some neat things to mess around with, i just wish i had a better proc.

(disclaimer, using the guides mean your taking a risk - just like Ocing- dont do anything unless you know what it does)

Ask a Question