Modifying Data in a GridView Web Server Control

GaryDean

The title of this post is the subject of an MSDN article at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c4245bb4(VS.80).aspx

The article describes generating a sqldatasource that has select, update,
delete, and insert statments and basically accomplishing maintenance through
a datagrid with no coding. The problem is that, like earlier 1.1 articles,
it doesn't work. The edit button opens up a textbox and allows a new entry
but no update occurs.

Back in 1.1 we had to execute the stored procedures ourselves in code in the
rowcommand event.

Do we still have to do it the old fashioned way or does the gridview
actually somehow have this advertised updating capability?
Thanks,
Gary

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

As for .NET 2.0 GridView (or DataGrid) that associate with DataSource
control, it does support AD hoc data access such as query, update, delete
without writing code. Actually, it is easy to perform such a task through
a simple database table. e.g.

** drag a data source control onto the page and configure it, make sure you
choose generate update/insert/delete query together with select query

** drag a gridview on to page and bind to the datasource control added
previously

** in the Gridview action list, choose to enable "Editing", "Deleting"

then, run the page, you should be able to select, edit, delete records.
This is just for very simple AD HOC scenarios. Are you encoutering any
particular error when running the page?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

GaryDean

Steven:
Well, first the SQLDatasource doesn't have an option for automatically
generating update, insert, delete (as does the xsd generator) that I can
find. So I use the xsd generator to generate stored procedures, I put then
into the database and then drag a sqldatasource onto the page, specify the
individual stored procedures, drag a gridview, hook it up and specify
editing.

When I run it I can edit, enter a new value in a column just fine. The only
problem is that the update does not occur.

Gary

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

As for generating the update/delete statementes, you can do it as below(in
SqlDataSource):

** In Design-view on page, select SQLDataSource and click "Configure
DataSource" action item in the action panel

**After choose data connection, you're brought to "configure the select
statement page"

**You can choose "specify columns from table or view"(the default setting),
then you can find a "Advanced" button on the right side of the dialog

**Click the "advanced" button, and you'll find the option to let you
generate Insert,Update,Insert statement

Please feel free to let me know if you still have difficulites got it
working. BTW, as I mentioned, this is for ad hoc scenarios, for complex
data manipulating, we generally create custom dataset/table adpater or data
access class to do the work.

From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Modifying Data in a GridView Web Server Control
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:28:55 -0700