Modal forms... Help!

G

Hi, I'm building an application that has many windows and I'm using modals as part of that... but I have a problem...

First of all I was building this as mdi but when a modal form then tried to show a non-modal form in the mdi it failed... so I changed the app to non-mdi.

Now the problem I have is that when the modal dialog comes up it locks ALL current windows, although new non-modal forms can be started from the modal dialog and they all work together.

Why do I want to do this?

I'll describe a simple example..

An application has 2 main windows, these manage data that has no impact on the other window. So when window A opens a modal dialog I'm expecting A to be locked, pending the closure of the modal, but I still want B to be usable....

Is this actually achievable? HOW! I've tried examining the properties of forms during runtime but I see no obvious clues as to what's going on under the covers and how I can make it do what I want..

Thanks in advance.
G

M

Maniaque

In ShowDialog method of the Windows.Form class you can find Owner parameter.
Try to set it, it specifies the owner of the modal window.

M

Maniaque

Well.... let's see..... Hm, maybe you should use another thread for a second
form (named B, as far as I remember), and then second thread should't be
paused...

Ask a Question