Windows XP MMC/SD card formatting

Reaction score
I'm developing an embedded system that saves data to a MMC/SD and need to know more about formatting the card. I've spent a lot of time Googling and looking at MS's website but cannot find a definitive answer. I've looked at different pre-formatted cards and they are formatted differently.

The questions are:

1. Should you format the MMC/SD card with a Master Boot Record (MBR) or not?

2. Is it essential to have code in the MBR and the Boot Sector?

I'm looking for a definitive answer that conforms to MS's specifications - ie it will work with Win XP++ or whatever.

The prototype system used a Pretec 64MB MMCs which just had a Boot Sector with code it it - cloned from the original cards. (All this work used a Dane-Elec USB adaptor for the PC end of things)

A Kingston 256MB SD card had a MBR and a Boot Sector without code. When the card was formatted under XP with FAT16 selected, the result was the same, but with code in the Boot Sector (oddly, both had a massive 100 sector gap between the MBR and the Boot Sector).

I would like to format cards just a Boot Sector and no code - is this acceptable?

TIA,

Keith.

Ask a Question