Microsoft Virtual Machine

Alan Challoner

This may evolve into a long story; I hope that you will read it through.

I recently had a new motherboard installed on my IBM ThinkCentre as it failed under warranty.

I installed all the Windows programme updates as identified by MS in the automatic download system. I am running Windows XP pro (now with SP2)

In the last couple of days I have been presented with one of these which is an upgrade for Microsoft Virtual Machine (MVM). When this has been downloaded it fails to install and I am presented with a message that tells me that "This set up will only upgrade over an existing version of the MVM."

I did a search for msjavx86.exe on my machine and it isn't there. I then did a Google search and came across this site:

http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

On here I am told that MVM should have been installed with SP1. It offers a direct download of this file via:

http://www.mvision.mpsnet.com/java.htm

The site goes on to tell me that, "But you don't even have to use the Microsoft VM, you can use Sun Microsystem's version, and it seems to work just fine."

Can those who have more experience of this that I have please advise.

1.. Do I need to install SP1? I had thought if SP1 if had not already been installed the SP2 download programme would have found this to be the case and prompted me to install it first if that was needed.
2.. Is it OK to download msjavx86.exe from the site noted above?
3.. Are there any other comments or information of which I should be aware?

Alan

Peter

SP2 did away with MSJVM and no you shouldn't try downloading SP1, wouldn't work anyway as SP2 contains all updates from day 1. You are far better off with the latest from Sun Java http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp . MSFT are discontinuing support for their VM anyway.
There have been numerous updates since SP2 so make sure you are up to date.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
[...]

Thanks. I did as you suggested but after installing the programme my Windows would not respond to 'turnoff' or 'restart'. So I did a system restore.

1.. What happened to cause this?
2.. what is the difference between these two? http://www.mvision.mpsnet.com/java.htm
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

3.. What advantage will accrue from having the Java programme?
BTW I get auto updates

Alan
========================
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message SP2 did away with MSJVM and no you shouldn't try downloading SP1, wouldn't work anyway as SP2 contains all updates from day 1. You are far better off with the latest from Sun Java http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp . MSFT are discontinuing support for their VM anyway.
[...]

The Mvision one is for the Microsoft virtual machine which you don't want. I should mention that it has security vulnerabilities anyway, so you are better off without it.
The java.com one is what you want.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
[...]

Can you answer my other questions please?
Alan
====
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message The Mvision one is for the Microsoft virtual machine which you don't want. I should mention that it has security vulnerabilities anyway, so you are better off without it.
[...]

Not sure why it would cause you a problem unless you picked the wrong version to download.
You could try the Windows offline installation - save it to a folder then install when offline.
Test here if one is already installed on your machine:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MSK_UserGuide_Sep04.pdf
Something to check before you try again - go to Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced scroll down and look to see if there is any entry for Java already operating on your machine. If the Microsoft one shows then go to Tools/Manage add-ons and disable it.
Another thing that might help is clear out your temprary internet file cache (Tools/Internet Options/General) and check your machine is free of viruses and spyware. I assume you have software onboard for that.
If you don't:
Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ (look for free download link)
Alternative download link: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,tk,Top10,00.asp

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

SpywareBlaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

CWShredder
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html

Online Virus/Trojan Scans and Vulnerability Checks
http://virusall.com/downscan.shtml

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool:

Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD

Oops made a mistake...test Java here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
[...]

The test shows that I am using an IBM version of JAVA 1.4.1
Alan
=============
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message Oops made a mistake...test Java here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
[...]

IBM?? All I know is Sun Java recently updated to 1.5 as security flaws were found in 1.4... better check with IBM on how to remove it or check if it is, in fact, from Sun, in which case, how to update it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
[...]

Simply go to http://www.msn.com In search type:Microsoft Java Virtual Machine
In results search for x86 download for MJVM,once installed,go to windows
update catalog,locate software,server 2003-web edition,you'll find the update
for windows xp.