Microsoft to give away anti-virus

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8095932.stm

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Hey folks i copied n pasted this from that bbc site. The topic was on the english millionth word...from a yank company LOL

But N00b comes from the gaming community, the company said, explaining that it is used as a disparaging term to describe a neophyte in a particular game.

As far as i was concerned a noob was somebody who was new to something....end of.
It doesnt have to about gaming.
Oh well.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Jesus, Mary and Joseph...That will be a first. Microsoft giving something away for free

WTF they are after something wonder what?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The BBC are a wee bit slow, that "news" is over 6 months old.

:rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
The BBC are a wee bit slow, that "news" is over 6 months old.

:rolleyes:

May be that they were picking up on the first person to try out Microsofts fab offer
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it talking about the MRT (malicious software removal tool)? If so, I quite like it - it's very basic indeed, but a good stopgap for some basic viruses that would otherwise get through. :) I've seen it pick something up before when I went to fix someones PC which would have otherwise gone unnoticed (as they "didn't need" an antivirus application apparently!!!:wall: )

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To clarify the 'noob' thing.

This definition was formed around six years ago so the meaning may have mutated but originally:

Newb and Noob are two very different things.

'Newb' is simply a newbie, somebody who is new to something, including specific online games and is not intended primarily as an insult, more an observation.

'Noob' on the other hand is definitely an insulting and disparaging term and refers to somebody who is playing an online game in a very amatuerish manner and generally running around shooting anything that moves, not knowing what they're doing and generally only having any success within the game by fluke or sheer luck.

A veritable pain in the bum in fact.

So now you know :)

And as for Microsoft - possibly the richest company in the World - to give away something that costs peanuts that will perhaps enhance their reputation and standing is a damn site cheaper than some of their advertising or PR excercises.

For MS, financial good sense, so don't all act so shocked, as ever, look for the bigger angle.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
To clarify the 'noob' thing.

This definition was formed around six years ago so the meaning may have mutated but originally:

Newb and Noob are two very different things.

'Newb' is simply a newbie, somebody who is new to something, including specific online games and is not intended primarily as an insult, more an observation.

'Noob' on the other hand is definitely an insulting and disparaging term and refers to somebody who is playing an online game in a very amatuerish manner and generally running around shooting anything that moves, not knowing what they're doing and generally only having any success within the game by fluke or sheer luck.

A veritable pain in the bum in fact.

So now you know :)

And as for Microsoft - possibly the richest company in the World - to give away something that costs peanuts that will perhaps enhance their reputation and standing is a damn site cheaper than some of their advertising or PR excercises.

For MS, financial good sense, so don't all act so shocked, as ever, look for the bigger angle.

Thanks for ironing that out for me FPS...incidentally i heard the word Moobs today....have you heard that one yet ??
Also about the microsoft thing....i think MS have deliberately flooded us all with a dodgy batch of updates.
In the coming months we will be so fed up with Vista we will gladly embrace Windows 7 and pay the fees whatever they may be.
I'm by no means an einstein but at this stage i have a feeling Vista a major flop that they will try to bury.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
I'm not sure how i got a notification for this thread when there's no new post's but the answer is microsoft essentials.

Reaction score
captain zed said:
I'm not sure how i got a notification for this thread when there's no new post's but the answer is microsoft essentials.

You got a notification to this thread as yesterday a spammer posted on it. And as you had posted on it before whenever somebody new posts to a thread you have subscribed to, you will get a notification. Al the posts this spammer made have been deleted by one of the Mods/Admin....Kinda strange though that the notification came so late though, as I have also only just recieved it...Ah well

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
You got a notification to this thread as yesterday a spammer posted on it. And as you had posted on it before whenever somebody new posts to a thread you have subscribed to, you will get a notification. Al the posts this spammer made have been deleted by one of the Mods/Admin....Kinda strange though that the notification came so late though, as I have also only just recieved it...Ah well

Hi MadX,
How do ya tell when it's a spammer ??

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi MadX,
How do ya tell when it's a spammer ??

Spammers usually post links to crappy software on their very first post. Or post links to sites selling something or the other..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mad is correct ...

... the posts were deleted and the idiot is banned :D

Ask a Question