Microsoft to detail DirectX 12 at GDC

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The next major version of Microsoft's DirectX API will be unveiled at GDC 2014 on March 20, according to the company's DirectX developer site.
DirectX 12 will be detailed by Anuj Gosalia, development manager for graphics at Microsoft, in a sponsored session titled "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform." The official GDC website offers the following description of that talk:
For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console. Come learn our plans to deliver.
Microsoft has another session, to be given by Windows Graphics development lead Max McMullen, that focuses on "Direct3D Futures."
"Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before," the session's description reads. "In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware."
Eight talks dedicated to DirectX 11 are also planned.
A DirectX 12 Twitter account tweeted today that "Rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated," and that the next version of the multimedia programming interface would be exposed at this month's Game Developers Conference. A teaser page shows AMD, Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm logos, indicating those companies will support the latest version of Microsoft's API suite.
The last major version of the DirectX API was released for Windows in 2009.

Source: Microsoft
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/5/5475392/directx-12-windows-microsoft-gdc-2014

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
'Direct X 12 - Hopefully more successful than Games For Windows'

(Official company slogan).

Who me? Cynic you say? Sometimes I just can't help myself :D

Now then, serious question time - will my graphics card support DX12? :confused:

CSB

Reaction score
I'd like to say Yes, but it probably won't Flops. I'd be surprised even if the 780s will??? Maybe it's Microsoft helping all the card makers make more money when they bring out the next cards for a slice. I'm not a cynic either lol

We'll see.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lol Flops.:lol:

You GPU probably will, whether Win 7 will is another matter..... DX12 is aimed at AMD's Mantle I believe....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DirectX 12 will probable be bundled with Win 9 ... and we'll all get a free graphics card.

It's a strange and amusing beast ... GW2 only opted for DX9, while in LoTRO, 7years older, one can use DX10 or for prettier water, DX11.

:user:

Ask a Question