Microsoft Patent

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...7,536,726.PN.&OS=PN/7,536,726&RS=PN/7,536,726

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/microsoft_patent_more_money_for_less_functions

More Money for Less Functions
laughingsmiley.gif

"May 21, 2009 With U.S. Patent 7,536,726, Microsoft has been granted a patent with which they hope to make a successful business model out of a potentially severely restricted operating system."
laughingsmiley.gif

" The Microsoft co-inventors see revenue in it: for a few dollars more a new digital signature will open up further applications and drivers."
laughingsmiley.gif

"The trick: it will cost the user even just to peek at the OEM's digest catalog of available programs."
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

"There's further rationale Microsoft has to provide crippled functionality: "An additional problem with open architecture systems is that virtually anyone can write an application that can be executed on the system."
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

:D

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Link?

I'm no Steven Bulmer fanboy but don't you ever get tired of bashing Windows?

Yes, we know they're nasty but most of the time it works :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The quotes I gave are the authors plain english version of the information given in the patent application, therefore as far as I can see my post is a factual one. I happened to find the information very very amusing. I don't really see that as Windows bashing.

Missing out the links was an oversight. I always give source links so nothing sinister there then.

The idea that someone would buy a OS with very limited capabilities and then have a short time span to decide if they want any more capabilities and then have to pay to see a list of application or services that they would then have to pay more money to be able to use and have the OS limited to use only approved applications and services makes me laugh.

Bearing in mind that you would not be able to use any freeware. That you would only be able to run games that Microsoft approved and certified. That all the peripherals that you could plug into and use on the system would have to be certified. That you would effectively be giving Microsoft total control over what you ran or plugged into the pc. That concept makes me laugh out loud.

Also Microsoft are claiming that OS crashes and the like are the fault of additional software being badly compiled. This patent would eliminate all of that as Microsoft would oversee every aspect of every item that interacted with the OS and give the user an almost perfect piece of kit to use. Priceless.

The fact that Microsoft would be paid at each and every step makes roll on the floor it is just so funny.

The way that Microsoft has portrayed this limited OS idea as being something that would appeal to users and that it is of and for the benefit of those users, well that made me cry with laughter.

I did read through the information at the patent link and to me it might as well have been a Monty Python script. Truly a classic.

Windows bashing , not me guv , just finding humour where I can in the world.
laughingsmiley.gif

Last edited:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Windows bashing , not me guv , just finding humour where I can in the world.
laughingsmiley.gif

Allow me:

Microsoft -- When Real Life
Exceeds Parody

That's bashing. Unlike the following, which is (to some, at least) an esteemed opinion:

Desktop Linux will simply never be popular enough for most people to care about. One big reason is the difficulty of upgrading and installing software. It's true that using the operating system itself is simple and straightforward -- much easier than it was in the days when you had to be a command-line junkie to get anything done with Linux. But when you try to install new software, or upgrade existing software, you'll be in for trouble. I won't get down and dirty with the details here, but believe me, it's not pretty.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...source=rss_news

If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening...

Ask a Question