Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331594

Ron Lilley

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331594
BUG: "Could Not Update; Currently Locked" Error Message
Raised by Second Edit Attempt in a Transaction

Does anyone know how to implement the recommended fix for
this problem. I have two applications accessing the same
tables in an access (2000 ver 9 3821 SR-1) database at
possibly the same time, but not the same records. It
appears to be set up for record locking, but I get the
message.
What is MSDASQL?
How do I "Use Microsoft OLEDB Provider for ODBC Drivers
(MSDASQL) with the Microsoft Access Driver, instead of
with Microsoft OLE Provider for Jet 4.0."

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Ron,

In the same article they give the example of how to use Microsoft OLE DB
Provider for Jet

cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=<Path to Access
2000 or Access 2002 database>"

Here's how you would use Use Microsoft OLEDB Provider for ODBC Drivers
(MSDASQL) with the Microsoft Access Driver:

cn.Open "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Extended
Properties=DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=<Path to Access 2000 or Access 2002
database"

Here's a little trick on how to get the correct connection string:

- Via Windows Explorer click the menu option Tools > Folder Options
- Select the View tab
- Make sure the box "Hide extensions of known file types" is UNCHECKED
- Click apply and ok
- Create a New text (*.txt) file on your desktop
- Right click the text file and choose rename
- Change the file name From [file Name].txt to [file Name].udl
- Click Yes
- Double click the UDL file and the Data Link Properties appear
- After setting the Data Link Properties to the correct database choosing
the correct OLE DB Provider, etc....
- Right click the UDL file again and choose rename
- Rename it back to [file Name].txt and click Yes
- Open the Text file and there's your connection string

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."