Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cant help but feel MS have been hard done by with this, how come Apple dont have to do the same?

Microsoft has been fined 561 million euros ($731m; £484m) for failing to promote a range of web browsers, rather than just Internet Explorer program, to users in the European Union (EU).

It introduced a Browser Choice Screen pop-up in March 2010 as part of a settlement following an earlier EU competition investigation.

But the US company dropped the feature in a Windows 7 update in February 2011.

Microsoft said the omission had been the result of a "technical error".

But competition commissioner Joaquin Almunia said the action was unprecedented, adding he wanted to deter any company from the "temptation" of reneging on such a promise.
Full Article - BBC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's one heck of a fine :eek:.

Am I correct in thinking that it's only been fairly recently that Apple even allowed competing browsers on to the App store?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still being offered the browser choice in Win 7 when I update. I've never noticed it missing. Not that I install it of course cos I'm dead clever cos I know there are lots of browsers.

Nobody else does though of course which is why Microsoft must let us know.

Let me state I have no love for Microsoft but will say I never could understand why they were forced to give a choice of browsers. A simple uninstall function for IE would have sufficed imo.

And it may appear a huge fine to you and I who think even buying a jar of Nescafe is prohibitively expensive but 561 million Euros to Redmond's finest is like small change for the parking meter to Mr & Ms Average.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
On my laptop I still have IE 8.On my desktop after a clean install, I downloaded Waterfox and then went into programs and features and selected "Turn Windows features on or off " Now no more annoying updates wanting me to update to a browser I don't like.:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
IE 10 working fine on me lappy with Win 7 and I too like Flops have a choice of browsers :bow:

The fine in my opinion is peanuts:nod: or as well put by Flops " small change for the parking meter to Mr & Ms Average"

Ask a Question