Microsoft drops C#

One Handed Man \( OHM - Terry Burns \)

In its inherent value 'YOU' is not the same as 'you', so why should a
programming language not distnguish between the two ?
--

OHM ( Terry Burns )
. . . One-Handed-Man . . .

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing

Jeff Johnson said:
"One Handed Man ( OHM - Terry Burns )" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message
C# is [...] case dependent which is good
Really?!
er, Yes !

Ick. If you were raised on case dependence, you like it. If you weren't you
don't. It has no inherent "goodness."

Cor Ligthert

Hi Terry,

You want a long message from me, however I try to keep it short.

In my opinion should a programming language follow the classic rules of our
native langues.

That is made in centuries. As far as I know is there in Europe no language
where a word with an upercase has a distinct with words in lowercase. In our
dictionaries are enough words, do you want to extend that even with the
change to make that distinct with an upercase.

Just my thought,

Cor

One Handed Man \( OHM - Terry Burns \)

VB.NET not being case dependent is probably better in one respect.

The reason for this is that it forces us to use different words, and this
must make identifiers more easily readable, and less likely to be prone to
error such as personal and Personal in C#, which are less obvious to spot.

--

OHM ( Terry Burns )
. . . One-Handed-Man . . .

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "One Handed Man \( OHM - Terry Burns \) said:
In its inherent value 'YOU' is not the same as 'you', so why should a
programming language not distnguish between the two ?

Read the C# groups. There were several cases where people asked why
their code didn't work, and the reason was a case-typo (for example,
'ToolboxBitmapAttribute' vs. 'ToolBoxBitmapAttribute'). No human is
perfect enough not to make typos like this, so case-insensitivity
increases productivity.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "Cor Ligthert said:
That is made in centuries. As far as I know is there in Europe no language
where a word with an upercase has a distinct with words in lowercase. In our
dictionaries are enough words, do you want to extend that even with the
change to make that distinct with an upercase.

I cannot hear a difference between a lowercase or uppercase letter when
being spoken :).

Cor Ligthert

Hi Herfried,

I thought that Terry showed in the last messages that he agrees with us.

Cor

Tom Spink

I suppose we should all become worried when we start pronouncing brackets
and asterisks and who know what else punctuation marks.

--
HTH,
-- Tom Spink, Über Geek

Woe be the day VBC.EXE says, "OrElse what?"

Please respond to the newsgroup,
so all can benefit

Les Hughes

Tom said:
I suppose we should all become worried when we start pronouncing brackets
and asterisks and who know what else punctuation marks.

And the fact that maintaing code a few years down the track with
different vairbles been the same word with different cases is a nightmare.

Tom Spink

ROFL! So true :)

CEO: "I've decided that the main variables in our program should be Cow and
cow"

--
HTH,
-- Tom Spink, Über Geek

Woe be the day VBC.EXE says, "OrElse what?"

Please respond to the newsgroup,
so all can benefit

Brian Henry

yeah MS would drop its flagship language... right, C# has gained so much
momentum and has a larger codeing base then even VB.NET currently by recent
polls of developers... this guy that wrote this is just pulling BS outa
himself to get attention..

SStory

I don't think MS really cares which language you use, as long as it is one
of theirs or on top of .NET.

C# is nice if you are a C programmer or Java dude.

VB.NET is a nice powerful language and has it's strengths.

If you know COBOL and nothing else, and write a program in a COBOL.NET
language and it does what it needs to...who cares what it was written in.
Eventually becomes IL like all else and if the language was well written
will be come good compact IL I guess.

Why argue about the hammer used to drive a nail? Whether ball hammer,
carpenter hammer or whatever..... still it's just something used to get the
nail driven in....

I think that's basically the deal with C#, VB.net and the rest.. Of course
if you have tons of time to waste and want to prove that you're super
special, why not just write it all in assembly? (yes that was sarcasm)

Such discussions are pointless. If you like C#, enjoy it. If you like
VB.NET do the same. They are so close, that with a little practice reading
either is easy to do.

my 2 cents worth...

Shane

Tom Shelton

VB.NET not being case dependent is probably better in one respect.

The reason for this is that it forces us to use different words, and this
must make identifiers more easily readable, and less likely to be prone to
error such as personal and Personal in C#, which are less obvious to spot.

Actually, I like that... In C#, personal would be the member variable and
Personal would be the property:

public class Example
{
private bool personal;

public Example (bool personal)
{
this.personal = personal;
}

public bool Personal
{
get
{
return this.personal;
}
set
{
this.personal = value;
}
}
}

in VB.Net I have to resort to ugly underscores or stupid hungarian
notation...

Public Class Example
Private _personal As Boolean

or

Private m_Personal As Boolean

End Class

Yuck...

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "Brian Henry said:
yeah MS would drop its flagship language... right, C# has gained so much
momentum and has a larger codeing base then even VB.NET currently by recent
polls of developers... this guy that wrote this is just pulling BS outa
himself to get attention..

I know the author of the text, Hannes. It's a little joke, I think, but
still, I am sure that most of what he is saying in his blog post is
right (except the story he made around the facts).

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* Tom Shelton said:
in VB.Net I have to resort to ugly underscores or stupid hungarian
notation... [...]
Private m_Personal As Boolean

That's the best, IMO.

Camel case... *brrr*...

Peter van der Goes

Tom Spink said:
ROFL! So true :)

CEO: "I've decided that the main variables in our program should be Cow and
cow"
You're assuming the CEO knows what a variable is??? ;-)

Cor Ligthert

No it is not true, you cannot do everything with VBNet and it is not
designed to do everything with it, and I hope it will never be.

Because than VBNet will be more and more a C type language with by instance
things as continue and operater overloading.

And than somenone can start inventing the next language again which is
usable for productivity.

Just my thought

Cor

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "Cor Ligthert said:
No it is not true, you cannot do everything with VBNet and it is not
designed to do everything with it, and I hope it will never be.

You can do (almost) everything you can do with C#. The article was
about C# vs. VB.NET.

Cor Ligthert

Hi Herfried,
You can do (almost) everything you can do with C#. The article was
about C# vs. VB.NET.

Does this mean in the German language something else maybe?

The answer in the Team was there is nothing which not can be done with
VB.NET.

And learn a time reading between the lines, than your answer would have been
a lot different.

:)

Cor

Tom Shelton

* Tom Shelton said:
in VB.Net I have to resort to ugly underscores or stupid hungarian
notation... [...]
Private m_Personal As Boolean

That's the best, IMO.

Camel case... *brrr*...

Actually, its a mix of Camel case and Pascal casing... Camel for member
variables, Pascal for public properties/methods :)

It's all a matter of preference really. I just happen to prefer case
sensitivity. To each his own :)