Microsoft 2003 Office Access Message ----- Error # 3033

Reaction score
Hello ---- Need Help

MY PROBLEM:

I'm able to open up the first file

Filename: USS Haynsworth 2004-1.mdb - created: Thursday, April 01, 2004 --- modified: Feb. 06, 2007 Size: 2,478,080
I'm NOT able to open up the second file --- "You do not have the necessary permissions to use this database.mdb. Have your system administrator or the person who created the object established the appropriate permission for you."

Filename: USS Haynsworth 2004.mdb - created: Thursday, Feb. 06, 2007 --- modified: November 25, 2006
Size: 3,280,896

I recently discovered your site and I hope that someone can help me resolve my problem.

I will try not to waste too much time with basic question. First let me start by saying, although I am a senior citizen, I have been using computers for 15 years or more. I've been using Microsoft Access since it was first introduced over 10 years ago and although it was a bit difficult at times, I was able to build several efficient - useful databases and never had a problem even moving them from one computer to another, or upgrading to the newest version 2003 etc.

I also built and maintain a website www.USSHaynsworth.com in 1999 that honors the 3500 Shipmates that served aboard this US Destroyer in the 26 years that it was in service. It is this database that I have maintained with all the necessary information that I am unable to open. As a safeguard I was backing up all my files on drive C, D, E on a USB external drive using a software "Drive Image 7.0"

Several weeks back I experienced some kind of a glitch that created problems on several of my programs, Access 2003 would not open Error # 3033. After hours of researching on Google --- I learned that I could change the USSHaynsworth.bak file extension to .mdb and my database opened up, problem was this backup file was three years old (missing any updates since 2004.

I then decided to restore the backup file that was on my external USB drive, as it was a larger file. It sent the file back over to the original folder, but now I'm getting the Error # 3033, don't have the necessary permissions to use this database.

Several websites on the Internet claim that they can solve my problem, if I'm willing to join. I do this work voluntarily without pay.

I'm confident that I've come to the right place and someone will assist me in getting back the last three years of information.

Best Regards,

Howard Doble
USS Haynsworth DD700 webmaster

Reaction score
It seems to me although i'm no big expert at the this particular thing....or any other ;)

The problem is within the permission settings for the file. Although changing these can lead to more problems.

I suggest you look at another file (one that you have backed up and know you have no problems with) and try looking at the permissions settings (right click/properties/security. Make another copy of your database and try changing the inherited permissions settings to that of the first file and try opening it again.

As I say i'm no expert and may be giving the wrong advise but I did have a similar problem with the contents of a whole drive a few weeks ago took me hours to sort it. Dont do it if you aint sure, i'm sure someone else will have a fix soon enough.

Good luck and welcome to the forum ;)

Reaction score

Thanks for your prompt reply.

This problem has certainly been perplexing. In desperation this a.m. I reluctantly decided to utilize Windows XP System Restore and chose the date January 06, 2007 (this was the date that I last inputted information in the 2007USS Haynsworth.mdb program). I was pleasantly surprised that the file opened out normally, so I made a new renamed database and then copied both of these files over to my USB external hard drive. I checked them both to make sure that they were working properly, then restored my computer back to the current date [February 8].

Neither of the databases would open --- I was just presented with the same message --- that I do not have the necessary permission --- Error 3033.

It appears that my problem has something to do with the Workgroup Administrator. I just find it odd that I can open up to other databases on this computer but not the 2007USS Haynsworth.mdb .

Hopefully, someone on this site will come forward and help.

Thanks again,

Howard

USS Haynsworth Webmaster

Ask a Question