Merging 3 Charts into 1

F. Lawrence Kulchar

I have three charts, each of which shows a normal curve (bell shaped) with 3
different means and 3 different standard deviations. Taken individually, the
3 charts are a "masterpiece."

However, I wish to merge the three charts into one so I can show the 3 bell
shapes on one graph. The best way to further explain is to cite this example:

Chart 1 X axis 10 through 160
mean 80
std. dev. 20

Chart 2 X axis 60 through 120
mean 90
std. dev. 10

Chart 3 X axis 20 through 150
mean 85
std. dev. 25

In other words, the data points overlap for each graph; however, the 'width'
of the X axis is different for each graph; in addition, the height (mean) of
each graph is, also, markedly, different.

HOW CAN I MERGE THESE THREE GRAPHS TOGETHER TO SHOW ONE GRAPH WITH THE 3
BELL CURVES?

Thanks,

FLKulchar

Mike Middleton

F. Lawrence Kulchar -

Here's one way:

Create three sets of X and Y (=NORMDIST) values on a worksheet.

Create an XY (Scatter) chart type for one of the XY sets.

Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY sets.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

FLKulchar

I will definitely try this...and let you know what happened; it seems to me
that the first XY scatter plot (which I have been using) will be
perfect,,,,if I add lists 2 and 3, will EXCEL associate these Y values with
the proper X values (already established...as the X axis).

Thank you,
FLKulchar

FLKulchar

OKay..I have tried it; the added normal curves do NOT associate the Y value
with the proper X value -- it associates it with the range referenced cell,
ie on the same horizontal plane!

FLKulchar

David Biddulph

I think you need to read again what Mike suggested:
"Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY sets."
That option allows you to select the appropriate X and Y data for each
series.

FLKulchar

i am not sure i know how to add XY data for another set of data.

Will I have 3 X axis series?

FLKulchar

David Biddulph

Yes. Each series will use its own set of X data, as well as Y data, as
described by Mike.

Jon Peltier

The easiest way to do this is to have three ranges, each with two columns,
where the first column contains X and the second Y values. Make an XY chart
(not a line chart) using the first XY pair of columns. Copy the second pair
of columns, select the chart, use Edit menu > Paste Special to add the data
as a new series, with X values (category labels) in the first column. Repeat
the copy/paste special operation with the third range.

The next easiest way is to make the xy (not line) chart with the first set
of data, then go to Chart menu > Source data > Series tab. Click Add to add
a series, then click in the X Values box to add X values for the new series,
and in the Y Values box to add Y values. Click Add again to add the third
series and its data.

- Jon

FLKulchar

Thank you...It completed succeeded...now I have three normal curves
superimposed on one set of X axis...eventhough there are 3 distinct sets of
X values in the chart.

I had, on my own, previously succeed by using the VLOOKUP function and
pasting the 3 sets of Y values onto a range of artificially created X values
which represent the 'maximum' range of my 3 sets of X values.

The trouble with that is I get values pasted to, say the X value is 100, but
my three Y values are 99.5, 100.7, and 101.8 -- that would all paste to 100
with the VLOOKUP formula...making my bell curve skewed.
Nevertheless, I was still pleased...

but, your way is much better!!

Thank you,

FLKulchar

FLKulchar

I made a mistake on my last posting:

The trouble with that is I get values pasted to, say the X value is 100, but
my three X values are 99.5, 100.7, and 101.8 -- that would all paste to
100 with the VLOOKUP formula...making my bell curve skewed.
Nevertheless, I was still pleased.

Change "Y" to "X".

Thank you...

FLKulchar

Jon Peltier said:
The easiest way to do this is to have three ranges, each with two
columns, where the first column contains X and the second Y values. Make
an XY chart (not a line chart) using the first XY pair of columns. Copy
the second pair of columns, select the chart, use Edit menu > Paste
Special to add the data as a new series, with X values (category labels)
in the first column. Repeat the copy/paste special operation with the
third range.

The next easiest way is to make the xy (not line) chart with the first
set of data, then go to Chart menu > Source data > Series tab. Click Add
to add a series, then click in the X Values box to add X values for the
new series, and in the Y Values box to add Y values. Click Add again to
add the third series and its data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

--
David Biddulph

OKay..I have tried it; the added normal curves do NOT associate the Y
value with the proper X value -- it associates it with the range
referenced cell, ie on the same horizontal plane!

F. Lawrence Kulchar -

Here's one way:

Create three sets of X and Y (=NORMDIST) values on a worksheet.

Create an XY (Scatter) chart type for one of the XY sets.

Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY
sets.