merge is disabled

Cowtoon

I'm working in version 2002. For whatever reason, in this particular file,
merge is greyed out. Does anyone know how to enable it.
I have some text that I want to merge over a few cells so that I can print
this puppy on one page.
Thanks.

Peo Sjoblom

Look to see if sharing is turned on, having said that there is no really
need to merge cells for printing, in fact unless you use merge in the top
rows to merge more than one row and you'll never copy and paste into those
cell of from those cells it's a waste of space and in fact the evil of evil.
Once you have to audit a large spreadsheet with lots of merged cells you
will know what I mean. Stay away from it, you can get similar effect using
center across select instead and it won't cause loss of data either

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com

DianaH

Thanks Peo.
I know what you are saying ... I've hated merging for that same reason,
however, this spread sheet has minimum calculations. It has a bunch of
"countif" formulas which work just fine for me. It's just a simple vacation
spreadsheet. I have some text at the bottom of the spreadsheet, (like
footnotes) and the text won't spread across empty cells, so I thought I'd
merge them instead.

I normally discourage merging (so I know of what you speak!), but for the
purposes of this file, I don't see it as a problem. The nature of the
content could be easily unmerged without affecting the rest of the sheet, if
I needed to do that.

I'm not sure where to look to see if sharing is turned on. That might be
what I need to make this work. It might be shared ... given that the person
who originally gave me this spreadsheet might have set it up that way so
that others could contribute/update their vacation schedules. It's not how
I'm using it as this (at work) as been discouraged.

Thanks.

Look to see if sharing is turned on, having said that there is no really
need to merge cells for printing, in fact unless you use merge in the top
rows to merge more than one row and you'll never copy and paste into those
cell of from those cells it's a waste of space and in fact the evil of evil.
Once you have to audit a large spreadsheet with lots of merged cells you
will know what I mean. Stay away from it, you can get similar effect using
center across select instead and it won't cause loss of data either

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com

DianaH

Thanks a bunch. I'll have a look on Monday (at work) and let you know if
that did the trick. Diana

Look under Tools>Share Workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Cowtoon

Gord ... that was it. I disabled the sharing and I can now merge those text
cells.
Thanks a bunch.
Diana

Thanks a bunch. I'll have a look on Monday (at work) and let you know if
that did the trick. Diana

Look under Tools>Share Workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Cowtoon

PS ... Thanks to Peo too ... for the "sharing" tip. It's working now.