Merge document: ASK vs.FILL-IN vs. FORM in Word 2000

TinaF

Okay, I've been messing around with this for 2 days now and can't get
it to work and it seems like it should be so simple. I've read
through this group and the Microsoft website and my giant "Using
Microsoft Word 2000" book and just keep getting even more confused and
cannot get a document to do 100% of what I need.

My goal:
I need to create a merge letter template. I will use Outlook as my
data source to get the addressee and company into my letter. That is
no problem, I can get that to work just fine.

I then need to refer to a location and a job number in the letter.
Each of these pieces of data will appear two places in the document.
I have tried using Ask & Fill-In, bookmarks and cross-references and
Forms - but I can't get to a point where I enter this data once and
then it gets stuck in the letter where I need it.

The closest I have come is using Fill-In. I set up a Fill-In for each
field and then bookmarked that Fill-In and cross-referenced it to the
2nd spot where the data needs to be. After I get it all set up and
start the merge process, when the letter opens it asks the appropriate
questions (what is job number? what is location?) Then I do the
actual merge step. The merged document has the addressee, company,
job number in both places that it needs to be and the job location in
ONLY ONE of the places it needs to be. I cannot get it to show up in
the second spot and don't understand why one field (the job #) works
fine and the other field (job location), which is set up the same way,
does not work.

Can someone please provide me with ONE solution, with complete,
simple, step-by-step directions?

Stefan Blom

Note that you can make use of the \o switch in order to be prompted just
once by the FILLIN or ASK field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP