Merge button greyed out

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Guest, May 15, 2007.

    I want to merge two cells. I select them, but the merge button, and the merge
    option in the format/cells/alignment dialog box are greyed out. Why?!!!

    Guest, May 15, 2007

  2. Is the worksheet protected?

    Is the workbook shared?

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, May 15, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    That is a good problem.

    Merged cells cause no end of problems with sorting, copying, pasting, filtering
    and a host of other functions.

    Maybe Center across selection would work for you if you are merging cells
    horozontally?

    See Dave's post for possible sources for the grayed-out merge.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, May 15, 2007