memory usage

G

Hello

I have noticed some 'weird' memory usage in a vb.net windows app
The situation is as follows
I have an app (heavy on images) with 2 forms
(actually there are more forms and on starting the app I load some things into memory for global use of the app but I'll use only 2 starting forms to explain the situation)

situation 1
start app with form 1 (72mb memory usage), show form 2 and hide form 1 (89 mb memory usage

situation 2
start app with form 1 (72mb memory usage), minimize form 1 (2.6mb), normalize form 1 (6.3mb), show form 2 and hide form 1 (53 mb memory usage), minimize form 2 (1.6mb), normalize form 2 (23mb

What's going on here? And how can i get to the same - smaller - usage of memory without having to do tricks like codewise minimizing/normalizing each form when shown
Is this the garbage collector

I could use some feedback here as I would really like to make the memory footprint of my app much smaller

thanx
t

H

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

* "=?Utf-8?B?dG9tdnI=?= said:
I have noticed some 'weird' memory usage in a vb.net windows app.
The situation is as follows:
I have an app (heavy on images) with 2 forms
(actually there are more forms and on starting the app I load some things into memory for global use of the app but I'll use only 2 starting forms to explain the situation).

situation 1)
start app with form 1 (72mb memory usage), show form 2 and hide form 1 (89 mb memory usage)

situation 2)
start app with form 1 (72mb memory usage), minimize form 1 (2.6mb), normalize form 1 (6.3mb), show form 2 and hide form 1 (53 mb memory usage), minimize form 2 (1.6mb), normalize form 2 (23mb)

What's going on here?

<http://groups.google.de/[email protected]>

Ask a Question