Memory tester?

Mark K Vallevand

We have a headless XPe system and would like some kind of memory test.
There is no video on this system. So, if any test uses DOS it must run in
command line mode across a serial port. It would be better if it ran in XPe
itself and we could access it with remote desktop.

Any suggestions?

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand (e-mail address removed)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

attachments from all computers.

Mark K Vallevand

Great idea. Thanks!
How does the MS memtest report errors? What do you tell customers to do
besides boot the special CF?

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand (e-mail address removed)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

attachments from all computers.

Mark K Vallevand

Ah, well, we don't have a head. Serial port and ethernet. No kb, mouse or
video.

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand (e-mail address removed)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

attachments from all computers.

Mark K Vallevand

Random BSODs. Trying to isolate what part of the hardware is flakey so the
engineers can start debugging some place. Its our own hardware design.

We are running headless XPe from Compact Flash with 2 partitions. The boot
partition is EWF protected and the small data partition is not. BSOD is
almost always in NTSF Create File copying a buffer from one place to
another. The destination address looks like its in the same place as the
sys, exe and dll files. Guesses? Paging code in from CF is getting getting
corrupted (bad IDE, maybe). Memory failures (the reason for a memory test).
Bad processor. NTFS corruption. Evil gremlins.

So far diagnostic testing has shown nothing. But, it happens often enough
to impact our customers.

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand (e-mail address removed)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

attachments from all computers.

Andy Pont said:
What problems are you seeing? How do you think having a memory test is
going to help?

Andy.
Posted To: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded
Conversation: Memory tester?
Subject: Re: Memory tester?

Ah, well, we don't have a head. Serial port and ethernet. No kb,
mouse or
video.

--
Regards.
Mark K Vallevand (e-mail address removed)

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin

THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE
PROPRIETARY
received

Ralph A. Schmid said:
Great idea. Thanks!
How does the MS memtest report errors? What do you tell customers
do
besides boot the special CF?

Usually there is some guy available with more or less PC experience,
who is able to interpret the error messages on the screen. We tell
them to insert the CF, connect a keyboard, boot and press the key "T"
to enable the extended test, wait for a few hours and look after the
results.

-ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid