Memory limit in CMD Shell?

Musafir

Hi,

I created a Win2K GUI Task Scheduler job with the Run field as:

D:\Test\myTest.cmd > D:\Test\myTest.out 2>&1

Contents of myTest.cmd are:
D:\Test\myExe.exe param1 param2

When I ran this task, after about 10 days it stops. myTest.out
indicates that the exe stopped while in between some processing.

I ran the exe directly from a command window and left it running.
After about 10 days I found that the command window was totally gone!
If the command window remained and the exe had exited (with error or
otherwise), I would have suspected that myExe.exe has some bug. But I
am unable to explain why the command window was totally gone.

Has anyone seen limits on the memory/etc that could cause CMD to
crash? Anything else I could check to determine what went wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Sharad Agarwal

Al Dunbar

Musafir said:
Hi,

I created a Win2K GUI Task Scheduler job with the Run field as:

D:\Test\myTest.cmd > D:\Test\myTest.out 2>&1

Contents of myTest.cmd are:
D:\Test\myExe.exe param1 param2

When I ran this task, after about 10 days it stops. myTest.out
indicates that the exe stopped while in between some processing.

I ran the exe directly from a command window and left it running.
After about 10 days I found that the command window was totally gone!
If the command window remained and the exe had exited (with error or
otherwise), I would have suspected that myExe.exe has some bug. But I
am unable to explain why the command window was totally gone.

Were you watching the PC for ten days? Perhaps someone came along, saw the
command prompt, assumed it was doing nothing, and closed the window.

/Al

Jerold Schulman

[...]

Any error in the application event log?

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Musafir

Jerold Schulman said:
Any error in the application event log?

I just scanned the App Log - nothing pertaining to myExe.exe or Task
Scheduler
Were you watching the PC for ten days? Perhaps someone came along, saw
the command prompt, assumed it was doing nothing, and closed the window.

/Al

No, I wasn't. But I would be suprised if anyone killed it - I was
using Remote Desktop Connection to run the process on a server. The
RDC connection was still there, but the CMD shell was gone. It is
possible that somebody killed the process remotely - but twice? And
after roughly the same time - ~10 days?

To add some more information - I have run myExe.exe with parameters
such that it can finish quicker and it succeeded everytime. It is only
when it has to run for a long time that this happens.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions,
Sharad Agarwal 'Musafir'

Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]

Musafir said:
Jerold Schulman <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Any error in the application event log?

I just scanned the App Log - nothing pertaining to myExe.exe or Task
Scheduler
Were you watching the PC for ten days? Perhaps someone came along, saw
the command prompt, assumed it was doing nothing, and closed the window.

/Al

No, I wasn't. But I would be suprised if anyone killed it - I was
using Remote Desktop Connection to run the process on a server. The
RDC connection was still there, but the CMD shell was gone. It is
possible that somebody killed the process remotely - but twice? And
after roughly the same time - ~10 days?

To add some more information - I have run myExe.exe with parameters
such that it can finish quicker and it succeeded everytime. It is only
when it has to run for a long time that this happens.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, none that I can think of, other than the possibility that the
application itself has some sort of bug that causes it to terminate the cmd
shell from which it was running if it happens to be around ten days later.

/Al

Musafir

Al Dunbar said:
Sorry, none that I can think of, other than the possibility that the
application itself has some sort of bug that causes it to terminate the cmd
shell from which it was running if it happens to be around ten days later.

/Al

Thanks for the ideas, I guess I am on my own now. Unfortunately I do
not have the source to myExe.exe, but still there are some things I
could try.

Thanks again,
Sharad Agarwal 'Musafir'