Media Player Element

Fred Chateau

I am currently using an Object element of type "application/x-mplayer2" to
create a media player in ASP.NET 3.5, and was wondering if there is a better
way to instantiate WMP in a browser. I'm hoping to find something with
better cross-browser compatibility.

I looked at System.Windows.Media.MediaPlayer in PresentationCore.dll but I'm
assuming that is used for Windows Forms (WPF). I'm also looking at the
Silverlight 2.0 MediaElement as a possible solution.

I thought I remembered seeing a presentation at a conference last year where
the element <asp:MediaPlayer> was used in the markup of an ASP.NET 3.5 Web
application, but I may be mistaken. Is anyone familiar with this or knows a
better way to handle rendering media in ASP.NET 3.5?

Lloyd Sheen

Fred said:
I am currently using an Object element of type "application/x-mplayer2" to
create a media player in ASP.NET 3.5, and was wondering if there is a better
way to instantiate WMP in a browser. I'm hoping to find something with
better cross-browser compatibility.

I looked at System.Windows.Media.MediaPlayer in PresentationCore.dll but I'm
assuming that is used for Windows Forms (WPF). I'm also looking at the
Silverlight 2.0 MediaElement as a possible solution.

I thought I remembered seeing a presentation at a conference last year where
the element <asp:MediaPlayer> was used in the markup of an ASP.NET 3.5 Web
application, but I may be mistaken. Is anyone familiar with this or knows a
better way to handle rendering media in ASP.NET 3.5?
Check out this:

http://quickstarts.asp.net/3-5-extensions/silverlight/MediaPlayerControl.aspx

LS

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Fred,

As Lloyd suggested, you can use ASP.NET MediaPlayer Server Control, which
is based on Silverlight. As we know, Silverlight is a browser plug-in
which is cross-browser, cross-platform and cross-device (not yet, but soon).

Some benefits you can gain when using ASP.NET MediaPlayer:
1. You can customize the skin of the media player, which brings better user
experience.
2. Markers and Captions support.
3. Playlist support.
4. You can detect whether your user has Silverlight installed on their
machine. Please refer to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb980107(VS.95).aspx
Then can write some JavaScript to redirect your user to download it, which
is more user-friendly.

To get started please install Microsoft Silverlight Tools Beta 2 for Visual
Studio 2008 (Please note it's still in Beta. If it's not urgent I recommend
waiting for the release):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=50A9EC01-267B-4521-
B7D7-C0DBA8866434&displaylang=en

And refer to:
http://quickstarts.asp.net/3-5-extensions/silverlight/MediaPlayerControl.asp
It demonstrates how to use ASP.NET MediaPlayer Server Control.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

| From: "Fred Chateau" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Media Player Element
| Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:36:12 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I am currently using an Object element of type "application/x-mplayer2"
| create a media player in ASP.NET 3.5, and was wondering if there is a
better
| way to instantiate WMP in a browser. I'm hoping to find something with
| better cross-browser compatibility.
|
| I looked at System.Windows.Media.MediaPlayer in PresentationCore.dll but
I'm
| assuming that is used for Windows Forms (WPF). I'm also looking at the
| Silverlight 2.0 MediaElement as a possible solution.
|
| I thought I remembered seeing a presentation at a conference last year
where
| the element <asp:MediaPlayer> was used in the markup of an ASP.NET 3.5
Web
| application, but I may be mistaken. Is anyone familiar with this or knows
| better way to handle rendering media in ASP.NET 3.5?
|

| --
| Regards,
|
| Fred Chateau
| fchateauAtComcastDotNet

Fred Chateau

I did wind up using the ASP.NET MediaPlayer tool. It's working well and a
much better alternative to instantiating WMP in the browser.

I ran into a minor problem with the control and posted a message about it in
the Silverlight forums. I thought I'd copy it here too, in case anyone is
interested.

--

I just wanted to mention that when using the ASP.NET MediaPlayer wrapper
tool, it does not display the Install Silverlight prompt if the Silverlight

To workaround this situation, I added an instance of the ASP.NET Silverlight
wrapper control at the top of the page, with the width and height set to 0.
This forces the Install Silverlight prompt to display when required. Not a
major problem but I wanted to mentioned it, as to appears to be a bug in the
MediaPlayer control.

Also, I noticed that the Silverlight control does not require a hyperlink in
the Not Installed Template to display the prompt. Is hardwiring that link in
the DLL wise, considering the link may change in the future?

Fred Chateau
fchateauAtComcastDotNet

Andy B

I tried to use the silverlight media control and can't get sound out of it.
It just sits there like a lump on a log. Could this be because I don't have
silverlight installed as a browser plugin yet?