medctrro.cmd

Pop

Hello all,

Doing some housekeeping and came across the SP2-added ehome
folder and the "medctrro.cmd" file in it. Near as I can tell
from Googling, sort-of-but-not-quite-existing-not-working futures
BG says will be handling all our entertainment functions in the
next few days (sic). MCE = Media Center Extension.

It's a minor detail I suppose and doesn't occupy any space to
speak of, but ... in my Neverending Story of "learning" what XP
is all about, I'd like to get rid of it. I've done this since
win95, and clearing out this kind of chaff is that much less for
me to churn thru.
I've renamed the directory with no ill effects, so I ASSuME
it's one of those silly no-use things? Since it "ain't doin'
nuttin", I can remove it safely, right? From what little I've
read, this machine and probably its apps will be long gone before
I could concievably have any real interest in it.

Or am I under a false impression about its present uselessness?

Can I remove it without impacting "normal" operations such as
video editing, audio work, etc.? I can find no use for it.

TIA,

Pop

Sharon F

[...]

Pop, not an exact answer for you - just a guess. I think this folder's
presence is tied in to Media Player. The folder may be more "fleshed out"
on a Media Center PC.

Pop

| On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:51:46 -0500, Pop wrote:
|
| > Hello all,
| >
| > Doing some housekeeping and came across the SP2-added ehome
| > folder and the "medctrro.cmd" file in it. Near as I can tell
| > from Googling, sort-of-but-not-quite-existing-not-working
futures
| > BG says will be handling all our entertainment functions in
the
| > next few days (sic). MCE = Media Center Extension.
| > Can I remove it without impacting "normal" operations such as
| > video editing, audio work, etc.? I can find no use for it.
| >
| > TIA,
| >
| > Pop
|
| Pop, not an exact answer for you - just a guess. I think this
folder's
| presence is tied in to Media Player. The folder may be more
"fleshed out"
| on a Media Center PC.
|
| --
| Sharon F
| MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks, Sharon. I'm going to rename everything in it and see
what happens. I'd offer to come back with the results, but I'm
not sure how I'd describe them with any meaing for anyone else.
Soooo, wish me luck! Got a few others like that, too - hope
these don't all end up being famous last words! <g>

Pop

Pop

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Post the file so we can look at it. It's a text file.

Here 'tis:

if EXIST %~dp0\ehshell.exe (
if EXIST %~dp0\medctrro.exe (
start %~dp0\medctrro.exe /o -RunOnce
)
)
----------eof----------

ehshell.exe doesn't seem to exist on the drive - looks like a
great place for an adware or virus to set in, to me. e.g.,
ehshell = damaging payload from ... .

Pop

David Candy

It's an install script of some type. One thing it does is register a AutoPlay handler for DVD movies.

Pop

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's an install script of some type. One thing it does is
register a AutoPlay handler for DVD movies.

Hmm, how do you figure that? ehshell.exe isn't on the system.
Of course I don't know the switches available, and I see a /o
used, but ... I use WMP rather than the DVD player to play DVDs
if I play them on the computer. I used the DVD player once - and
it changed my screen resolution and didn't change it back after
exit, so that one was relegated to Purgatory. Tried WMP since I
already had the MPEG2 decoder, and it worked fine.

Pop

dracoskale1217

ehshell.exe if an executable for MEDIA CENTER XP edition... i currently
have it installed on my HP M7470N Desktop. The computer came with a tv
tuner card and this new program. It basically takes the place of
Windows media player, and allows you to watch tv, listen to fm radio,
play video cd, dvd, organize pictures, record tv, tv guide...