From: "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: MDB Help

Joseph Meehan

I couple of ideas that may help.

MDE will prevent them from making changes to the design, but not data.
Is that what you want?

From my experience, I don't care what changes they make to the design, I
encourage it. I keep an original ready to replace their copy when they
really screw things up, but it is not a problem. I only worry about the
data on the network.

If you decide to go ahead with the MDE idea, make sure you have the
table links correct for their machine first.

I have never tried using and MDE for a front end, but I don't see why it
will not work.

It has been a long while since I used a wizard to spilt a database, but
as I recall (Version 97 I believe) created both a NameBE and a NameFE file.
I suspect you should have an FE file somewhere.

As to securing the data on the BE:

I suggest you start by reading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];207793

Access security is a great feature, but it is, by nature a complex product
with a very steep learning curve. Properly used it offers very safe
versatile protection and control. However a simple mistake can easily lock
you out of your database, which might require the paid services of a
professional to help you get back in.

Practice on some copies to make sure you know what you are doing.

Tony Toews

Joseph Meehan said:
If you decide to go ahead with the MDE idea, make sure you have the
table links correct for their machine first.

You can use code such as that available at the Access web to refresh
the links even in an MDE.
I have never tried using and MDE for a front end, but I don't see why it
will not work.

Works fine. A few things are missing but I forget which now I've been
using MDEs for so long.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP