"Maximum Number of Secrets"

J Wilson

While trying to copy using Windows Explorer, a directory
from a CD to the local C drive, I received the following
message:

The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a
single system has been exceeded.

What does this mean and how can I modify that setting.

Thanks.

Ken Brutlag

Pegasus \(MVP\) said:
There are some 240 hits on google when you check for
this phrase.

I recently started receiving this message on my W2Kpro system also,
and cannot find any references to a fix. I use this system to watch
DVD's while working on other projects. I've read everything listed
through Google, and this perticular issue has been around for over 3
years with no real soloution. Is one suppose to reload the OS
everytime this error occurs? What about the network I administer? We
move a lot of data, how long before this happens on one of my DC's or
file/application servers?

Any help?

Steve Goodman

Ken Brutlag said:
"Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I recently started receiving this message on my W2Kpro system also,
and cannot find any references to a fix. I use this system to watch
DVD's while working on other projects. I've read everything listed
through Google, and this perticular issue has been around for over 3
years with no real soloution. Is one suppose to reload the OS
everytime this error occurs? What about the network I administer? We
move a lot of data, how long before this happens on one of my DC's or
file/application servers?

Really weird error. But the entire message as found on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/995.asp
is:

"Error Message:
The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been
exceeded. The length and number of secrets is limited to satisfy United
States State Department export restrictions.

User Action:

This Windows 2000 Executive STATUS message is a warning. Choose one of the
options from the message box and then contact your system administrator. "

What the heck does THAT mean? And what the hell is a "secret" as far as the
US State Dept and Microsoft is concerned?

Mark V

Steve Goodman wrote in
Really weird error. But the entire message as found on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2
kmsgs/995.asp is:

"Error Message:
The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single
system has been exceeded. The length and number of secrets is

http://www.inventec.ch/chdh/notes/2.htm