max partition size on usb for winxp

Irwin

Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

Thanks,
IMF

Rod Speed

Irwin said:
Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

Do you want another FAT32 partition or NTFS ?

If you want FAT32, XP wont allow one that big, you
need to use a third party partitioner to do that with XP.

Ed Light

Irwin said:
Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

Thanks,
IMF

You can make a CD or floppy of bootitng and do the partition. If you
make an NTFS then you'll have to format it in XP. When the CD/floppy
starts, cancel install and it will go into maintenance mode.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks, robots.

Arno Wagner

Previously Irwin said:
Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?
Thanks,
IMF

This may be an effect of an internal limitation. AFAIK XP
cannot create FAT32 filesystems larger than 32GB. It can definitely
use them (I have one 105GB partition formatted with mkdosfs
from Linux that works fine under XP). So basically you need a
different tool than the broken ones included in XP. What tool
you use is a matter of your preference, just make sure it
can create large FAT32 partitions.

If you want to try linex, I would advise you to get a knoppix
CD. Partitioning is with fdisk, filesytem creation with
mkdosfs. Info on both can be gotten on the commandline
(CRTL-ALT-1/2/3/4 to get to the 4standard consoles)
with 'man <commandname>'.

Arno

mscotgrove

This may be an effect of an internal limitation. AFAIK XP
cannot create FAT32 filesystems larger than 32GB. It can definitely
use them (I have one 105GB partition formatted with mkdosfs
from Linux that works fine under XP). So basically you need a
different tool than the broken ones included in XP. What tool
you use is a matter of your preference, just make sure it
can create large FAT32 partitions.

If you want to try linex, I would advise you to get a knoppix
CD. Partitioning is with fdisk, filesytem creation with
mkdosfs. Info on both can be gotten on the commandline
(CRTL-ALT-1/2/3/4 to get to the 4standard consoles)
with 'man <commandname>'.

Arno

500GB FAT32 does work on XP - and some external drives are actually
shipped that way. I can confirm that Microsoft has a limit of the
maximum size you can format in XP and I think 2000 as well. My
personal guess to that it to encourage use of NTFS

To convert from NTFS to FAT32 I use a free download

fat32format.exe

Unless you really need FAT32 for compatibility, I would stick to NTFS

If you do use FAT32, make sure you enable the drive for Performance,
rather than Quick removal under drive properties. When set for quick
removal, it is painfully slow.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Irwin

Eric Gisin wrote in

Not that uncommon when it's a bug.

Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
make.
I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
between. I don't get it....

mscotgrove

Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
make.
I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
between. I don't get it....- Hide quoted text -

You should have used the microsoft

convert f: /FS:NTFS

command

type convert /? for full instructions

Michael

Squeeze

Irwin wrote in news:f8e081f7-f005-440b-8ca9-d7a035af171d@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
make.
I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
between.
I don't get it....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define: bug

1st paragraph, 2nd line