Master Browser

Mike

I posted a few days ago with problems I have on my netwrok
after rolling out a number of XP machines. After dissing
around in lots of forums etc some articles refer to XP
trying to take over as master browser and thus slowing
down the network. Does anyone have any knowledge on this
and how to resolve it?

Cheers
Mike

John Yi - MSFT

Can you provide what sort of machines and nics you rolled XP out to?

Things to check:

1) Ask you network admin what speed/duplex the switch port(s) are set at.
If the ports are set to 100/Full, try pinning your nic cards to this speed.
2) On Intel Pro 10/100 try increasing one or all the following options
"Coalesce Buffers", "Receive Buffer", and "Tranmit Control Box" in
conjunction with setting the speed/duplex.

From: "Mike" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Mike" <[email protected]>
Subject: Master Browser
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:01:10 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.winlogo

I posted a few days ago with problems I have on my netwrok
after rolling out a number of XP machines. After dissing
around in lots of forums etc some articles refer to XP
trying to take over as master browser and thus slowing
down the network. Does anyone have any knowledge on this
and how to resolve it?

Cheers
Mike

Joined
Jul 10, 2005
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
these pages may help,

computer browserYou have a master browser issue if you have the following symptoms. 1) If you can ping a computer ... Resolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm - Similar pages

troubleshooting computer browsing issuesResolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. The simple solution is stopping Computer Browser service on the XP. To stop Computer Browser service, ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/computerbrowsingissues.htm - Similar pages

troubleshooting browser issuesTo disable master browser on W2K/XP, go to Administrative Tools>Services, ... The master browser of a domain is always the primary domain controller. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingbrowser.htm