I have bought a pre-owned Compaq M700 laptop for my 8 year
old son to use at school.

1. I have installed service pack 4 and now each time I
boot windows installer pops up saying "preparing to
install.." but what ever it is is not named. It seems to
be looking for a file called navce.msi. I cancel the
install request but the machine is very slow. The CPU is
always running at 100% with a process call "svchost"
consuming 70% and "system" consuming 30%.

2. I don't have the restore disks.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

G

-----Original Message-----

I have bought a pre-owned Compaq M700 laptop for my 8 year
old son to use at school.

1. I have installed service pack 4 and now each time I
boot windows installer pops up saying "preparing to
install.." but what ever it is is not named. It seems to
be looking for a file called navce.msi. I cancel the
install request but the machine is very slow. The CPU is
always running at 100% with a process call "svchost"
consuming 70% and "system" consuming 30%.

Check for viruses.

W

Warren C. E. Austin

Check for viruses.

If I remember correctly (its' been a while since I've worked on Pocket PC's), the file "navce.msi" is the root installer for Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Pocket PC Edition. It's being loaded from within either the Registry, or win.ini file at boot.

Open win.ini first, and check for either a "load" or "run" command referencing that file name. If it exists in the win.ini, it will be in the first few lines at the top of the file.

Failing that check the Windows Registry doing a file search for the exact file name [START/RUN/regedit/Edit/Find] and using the [F3] key toggle throughout the Registry searching for all mentions of the file. If it is your intention to try and activate the installer, and either finish the install, or fix it (which is probably what it's trying to do, then DO NOT delete any "Keys", or entries, from the Registry that reference this file. If it is your intention to remove the application, and I would suspect the Add/Remove Dialogue will not do it for you (you might try that first) then delete the top level "Key" for all mentions of that file. By top-level I mean the full Key at the left-hand side referencing the file at the right, repeating the process until all mentions have been removed from the Registry. Run the file "regclean.exe" (it's a Microsoft Utility, now abandoned, but widely available across the net - simply search on the name) and this will remove any errant link
s remaining. Reboot system and the problem should go away.

If it's your intention to finish the install, or attempt to fix it, you will first need to find the file on your system using [START/Search/Files or Folder] and once located (there actually may be more than one copy - one located under the folder "Installer" inside the Windows folder, another inside "Documents and Settings/[Profile-name]/Application Data/Symantec and quite possibly a third either under "Documents and Settings/[Profile-name]/Local Settings/Microsoft/Installer/" The file it's looking for should probably have been located wherever the "Temp" Variable is set; but in all likelihood has been deleted or corrupted, and consequently not able to fulfil the task. Too it may reside in a folder at the top-level of whichever "[drive]:" holds the folder "Program Files" and would appear to look something like this "c0f1ggh4.msi" - a series of random alpha-numeric letters followed by a period (.) and msi. The presence of this latter folder would indicate a failed install,
and you are likely not going to be able to fix it without the original media.

If the latter folder doesn't exist, but one or more of the others do, and the file actually resides in any one of them, simply double-click on the file to restart the installer, and follow the prompts.

Hope that helps.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada

Ask a Question