Making Text field in a word form

bill

I've created a form with dropdowns and text boxes. My only problem Im having
is when I type in a textbox the underlining also moves and makes more rows.
I created the text like this..I inserted a textbox the size I wanted, and
then I converted it to a frame, then I selected the tab underline , then I
selected the underline button, I then used the tab key to create my
underlines for the text box...this works fine except, when I lock the form
down and start typing in the text box, the lines move creating more lines..I
need to stop this from happening. I have gone into properties and selected
"exactly" on both height and length..Im using word 2000..Thanks Your help
is appreciated...Bill BTW this is a form built with the form fields from
the toolbar, not really a userform...

Charles Kenyon

Consider using a bottom border on your frame instead of the tabbed
underline. Alternative, set the tab as a right-tab set at the right margin
of your frame. That way you have only a single tab following your formfield.
For more on online forms, check help and the links at <URL:
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms> especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Tom

I am doing the same except I changed the property of the text field so
that the default text is '________________'. I want users to click in
the field and then overwrite the ________ with their text. The problem
is users will only single-click and just push the underline to the
next line. I've got hundreds of non-techy users that will make a big
mess of this. Does anyone know a way to show an underline so it is
printer friendly but then remove it as soon as someone begins to type
in the field?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've done this using the MacroButton NoMacro approach described in
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/UsingMacroButton.htm. Instead of
using something like [Click here and type name] as the prompt, I just
include a long underline. A single click suffices for these, since a single
click selects the entire field, and, provided "Typing replaces selection" is
enabled (as it is by default), typing overwrites it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Tom

This works if the form is left unlocked. But when I lock the form,
clicking the selection does nothing. Is there a way to lock down the
form so that users won't click everywhere AND use this feature?

Thank you for your help,
Tom

Tom said:
I am doing the same except I changed the property of the text field so
that the default text is '________________'. I want users to click in
the field and then overwrite the ________ with their text. The problem
is users will only single-click and just push the underline to the
next line. I've got hundreds of non-techy users that will make a big
mess of this. Does anyone know a way to show an underline so it is
printer friendly but then remove it as soon as someone begins to type
in the field?

"bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You don't use this type of field in a protected form. You use this in order
to avoid using a protected form (which can be very restrictive). If you're
using a protected form, just underline the form field (as I think I
suggested in my original reply).