making folders private in XP

ross

Hi, advice wanted please.

I have not previously defined multiple users on my home PC (XP Home 5.1,
SP1).

Now I want to define 2 users, and each is to have some private folders that
are not visible to the other account. I read somewhere in the Windows
documentation that the file system has to be NTFS to support this.
Therefore I converted my logical discs from FAT32 to NTFS, and on the
properties sheet for the folders that I want to hide, I can see the
following option, under the "Sharing" tab:

"To make this folder and its subfolders private so that only you have
access, select the following check box:"

The problem is, the check box is greyed-out. What else do I have to do?

Thanks

Ross

purplehaz

Private folders only works on the my documents folder and it's subfolder. If
you want to deny access to any other folder you have to turn simple file
sharing off(in xp home - boot to safe mode, in explorer: tools, folder
options, view tab, uncheck: use simple file sharing). Reboot. Now you can
right click on a folder and choose the security tab. There you can allow or
deny access to user as you see fit.

ross