Make Table Query Truncating Memo Field at 255 Characters

E

excelCPA

I have a lot of data in an Excel spreadsheet that I want to analyze
with Access. Many of the data fields are >255 characters. I
understand linked tables to Excel in Access will truncate all fields
at 255 characters, but imported tables will not truncate.

I successfully imported that data in to Access, the large fields are
not truncated, and set to 'Memo' type fields.

When I run a make table query against the imported table, the query
truncates the memo fields at 255 characters. The new table's
properties have the applicable fields set to 'Memo'.

How can I keep a make table query in Access from truncating memo
fields at 255?

K

Ken Snell

What is the SQL statement of the query that you're using as the make-table
query?

Reaction score
Also having same problem...

I am using a two part query to pull client information into a new table that is "mail merge ready". Query one pulls from multiple tables the information I need. Query two groups this by one customer ID and concatenates a "FundBlurb" field. This all works properly but this combined query doesn't show up as an option in Mail Merge so is little use to me (only the first query and all my tables) My solution is to create a table from a query for this second query but I am having the same problem the OP had above.

My "FundBlurb" field can be quite long and when it is copied over to a new table it cuts off a large portion of the text since its not in the memo type.

This is the only thing holding me back from finishing this project. My sql code is below and thanks a ton for your help if there is an easy solution for this.

SELECT qryTest.ClientID, Conc("FundBlurb","ClientID",[ClientID],"qryTest") AS BlurbsConc, qryTest.Salutation, qryTest.[First Name], qryTest.[Last Name], qryTest.Advisor, qryTest.Address, qryTest.City, qryTest.[State/Province], qryTest.[ZIP/Postal Code] INTO tblMailMergeReady
FROM qryTest
GROUP BY qryTest.ClientID, qryTest.Salutation, qryTest.[First Name], qryTest.[Last Name], qryTest.Advisor, qryTest.Address, qryTest.City, qryTest.[State/Province], qryTest.[ZIP/Postal Code];

Last edited:

Ask a Question